Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

I know, right? It’s the best kept secret that the stress isn’t really that bad except when you’re super busy or your boss is a big jerk!!!

Tod

1 Like

Great job, Richard, glad to be part of this group.

1 Like

This is a great idea to help us find our old dog peers. Well done!

1 Like

I’m almost four weeks into the first module and I don’t think I’m advancing that much. I’m up to about 30 changes from A to D but most of them are kind of sloppy. How long should it take to get more proficient at playing the chords cleanly so I can move on to the second module?

1 Like

That varies hugely by person, so it’s difficult to answer. Have you watched Nitsuj practising? That may give you some idea of how good, ‘good enough’ is: https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/nitsuj-grade-1-practice

4 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Hello from Kurt, an old dog from USA

Hello Rebecca and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve watched the nitsuj practice on the first module. I think I’ll spend another week on the practice for the first module and move on to the second module. I’m having a little problem playing the D chord cleanly but it’s getting better. Thanks for the response iainism.

1 Like

The holidays kind of slowed me down, but I’m trying to get back on schedule. I DID find another great finger picking book that got here after Xmas. It’s John Denver Anthology, Easy Guitar. Copyright, 1981. It’s the RED one. Cherry Lane Music Publishing. There is also another for the piano on eBay but the guitar one has picking styles & so many songs. The book is about an inch thick!
I have one picking style down from the Guitar Picking book & am now excited to find more. But, for some reason, doing the finger picking before Justines lessons destroys my strumming & counting.
Just thought I’d share because I had a very hard time finding this last book. The others that came up may b in different countries because they didn’t come up on eBay when I set it to US only.
Just sharing!

1 Like

Holidays slowed me down, too. Was gone for two weeks visiting kids and grandkids. Just back a couple days ago. Just picking up the guitar again. Thanks to your recommendation, I just ordered that John Denver Anthology. $16 with shipping. I love his stuff, looking forward to getting the book. May have mentioned somewhere that I saw him twice in concert back in the late 70s. Few performers had such joy, and brought such joy to an audience.

1 Like

Update… Just completed 20 hours of practice and have learned A, E, D, Am, Em, and Dm. The only thing so far that I’ve struggled with is Dm because of the use of the 4th finger!!! The fast cord changes in the last practice song is the hardest… but I’m getting better.

Also, I decided to order an acoustic/electric (Epiphone Hummingbird Performer Pro Limited Edition Tabaco Burst) from Best Buy. I’m not sure why they sell it for 499.00 Canadian as it sells for about 650.00 Canadian in stores in the US. I’m not complaining though! LOL

2 Likes

I’m not sure what fingering of Dm you’re using, but this one is the one I use (open chord version; barre version uses four fingers.)

@markr31, Justin encourages to use XX0241, to strengthen the 4th finger. That’s the fingering @Music1958 struggles with.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s the way I do it, using the pinkie, and I don’t have any trouble with it anymore. I do a lot of practice between Dm and Am because of House of the RIsing Sun.

1 Like

I’m assuming that the numbers you’re using are fingers, not frets.

It’s been seven years since I was doing the beginner course, but I don’t think he taught it that way then.

1 Like

But there are also songs that go from D to D Minor (such as While My Guitar Gently Weeps) that would be much more difficult using that fingering. I think I’ll pass on that.

1 Like

I’m 56 and am starting to learn yet again. I’ve purchased several guitars over the years with every intention to learn how to play that have ended up collecting dust in the corner. When my youngest starting taking guitar lessons (in person), I felt inspired to try again, too. Funny that I’m learning at a faster pace than she is! For years I told myself I didn’t have the coordination to play, but I’m finding out that this is bunk. I even feel as though I have a natural ability if I don’t say so myself! I’m so glad I’ve undertaken this journey. Learning to play the guitar is a longstanding dream, and I can’t wait for my first gig:-)

7 Likes

You definitely CAN do this!

1 Like

Hi Colleen, @Colleenfs
Welcome here :smiley: and nice that/ifyour have the opportunity to play together with your son… and if he has a good teacher it won’t be long before you can learn from him… lots of fun :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Hello Colleen and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

We are our own worst enemy. Glad you read you are back into the swing of it.

1 Like