Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

I’d like to think we never lost it. Maybe it just went hiding for a bit.

4 Likes

Greetings from N. E. Pennsylvania.

At 61 and retired, I finally found time to learn guitar. Back in high school some of my friends taught me some barre chords so I could jam along with them but never had time to peruse learning anything more. I’ve been following Justin’s web site course for nearly 2 months, and look forward to practicing every day.

5 Likes

Hi Joe, welcome to the community! Have a lot of fun and enjoy learning!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Joe. :slight_smile:

You’ll be hitting those barre chords again sometime in the future.

2 Likes

Welcome, Joe. I may get to those barre chords someday, if I ever master D minor and what comes next! Not to mention One Minute Changes going from A minor to D. OUCH! don’t think I’ll ever get past 20-22 a minute.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Steve and I live in the Uk. I’m 53 and originally started playing the guitar about 25years ago. I played for about 4 years (self taught with a learn to play guitar book and cd) and got to a lvl where I could play songs, play some barre chords and power chords but never got any further. Then my son arrived and inevitably the guitar got put away. Fast forward to June of last year and my son got his own flat and left home. In December I was in the loft looking for something and came across my old guitar and thought, you know what let’s have another go, so I dusted it off, had a look on the internet and found Justin. Now I’ve just bought myself a beautiful Gretch and a little Fender LT25 amp and am absolutly loving it.
I’ve progressed pretty quickly and the stuff I learned years ago is coming back to me quite quickly. I’ve just started Grade 2 and relearnt the dreaded F chord and cant wait to move further through the course. I generally practice for about an hour a day during the week and a couple of hours a day at the weekend.
My goal is to be able to improvise over a backing track, I know it will be a long road to get there, just wish I hadnt given up all those years ago, espeacially as my son is just finishing his 3rd year at uni studying guitar and music production and is an incredible player.

At least I have someone to Jam with.

5 Likes

HI Steve, Welcome. Glad you picked it back up and the fact it’s coming back to you after all this time is awesome. (or would that be brilliant? :sweat_smile:) Glad you an jam with your son, too. My husband is learning base and I’m learning guitar, we’re hoping we can jam together too, once we have a little more practice. 2 months isn’t quite enough!

1 Like

@gary_V @Joey22 @mrgoatee @LunaRocket
Hello, and a warm welcome to the community. So great to have you here :hugs:.
I wish all of you a wonderful guitar journey and lots of fun with your six-string-friend :smiley::guitar:.

3 Likes

Michael here from sunny Arizona. I am 72 and finally got on stage last night at a local gig. I was scared sh@tless, but made it through.

7 Likes

Welcome Michael, so nice to have you here :hugs: .
I’ve already commented on your ‘1st gig-post’. Must have been a great experience :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I’m the same age as you Suzanne and have just completed well 7 of my journey. For me i V have realised this is not going to be a quick journey so I’m in it for the long haul. Love trying to play and hope one day it pays off. Welcome to this amazing community. Have lots of fun.

1 Like

Hello fellow travels. I found Justin’s site about 6 years ago. I started the lessons and now play almost everyday. I am 69 and wish this was around earlier in my life, but of course there was a time when there was no internet. It has been a great journey. I have been lucky to find two community acoustic jams to play in weekly. The jams have given me the confidence to make music with others. Now I want to try my hand at songwriting. Don M

4 Likes

Hello Don and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Very cool you’ve got some jam buddies and 6 years, man you must be shredding it. :wink:

1 Like

I guess it’s a rite of passage to register myself on here. I learnt as a teenager and am now back refreshing in retirement age currently just finishing Grade 2. One of the new tricks is the video and audio interfacing that I’m getting to grips with on my ancient computers. At least I got the F chord out the way years (decades) ago.

3 Likes

Hello Don, welcome to the community. It’s such a nice place to be :hugs:.
Wow, that’s great, that you have community acoustic jams around. Sounds like a lot of fun :smiley:.
I wish you all the best for your song writing journey, and hope, that you like to share your progress with us :blush:.

1 Like

The only difference between someone who succeeds and someone who doesn’t is perseverance. That’s it. No secret…

2 Likes

Andrew, Sydney. Tried learning bass but have struggled with neck length and fret width amongst other things. Have swapped to Baritone using a classical and rubbery Baritone strings. Easy to play. I learn standard chord shapes but have only just started. I am ignoring names of baritone chords for now. My voice is Baritone so I prefer the match. I also have no hearing above 4-5 khz so Baritone works better for me. I will likely stick to rhythm so I can accompany a main guitar and fill in the sound or just play simple tunes. I think guitar is better than bass as 6pu can actually play whole songs. Bass only fills in the rhythm. Rock on.

5 Likes

Hello Andrew and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

There are a few bass plays kicking around and I’m sure they will be happy to share their knowledge.

1 Like

Hi Don,

I also wish I’d started years ago, but I agree with you, without internet, I’m not sure it would have happened. Heck, I am not even sure I’d be learning now except last November my husband decided to buy his first electric bass (I knew he had played the double bass in high school but did not know he had always wanted to play electric bass till last year! He got stuck with the double bass because he was the tallest guy in the music class.) So, there he was sitting in his recliner ordering a cheap bass from Amazon and it dawned on me that I could buy myself an electric guitar, as I’d wanted to play since I was 14 but my parents wouldn’t buy me one :no_mouth: sigh

I’m pushing 64 now and have 7 solid weeks of playing under my belt now and am enjoying myself immensely, as is the hubby.

So, anyway, welcome to the community.

3 Likes

Welcome Andrew. I didn’t even know a baritone guitar existed. Very cool. My bass playing/learning husband is now reading about baritone guitar to me while I type this.

2 Likes