Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hi All . . . Another old dog trying to learn new tricks. Been wanting to learn how to play forever . . Bought a nice Taylor acoustic, learned a few chords and one fingerstyle song (Mark Hanson Over the Rainbow) then didn’t pick it up again. Got my daughter’s MIM Strat a few weeks ago and began on Beginner Grade 1 last week . . . About done with module 3 . . . Need to find a practice amp someday as electric seems more interesting at the moment. I have one picked out, just need to pull the trigger.

I would like to learn some rythum playing, some lead then play with layered/looped recording . . That looks like fun. I don’t like singing but maybe someday I’ll find a song I might like to sing.

5 Likes

Welcome Wayne. Nice guitar, (from what I know, lol). I started, officially, 7 weeks ago. I sort of played around with my guitar last December without an amp for that time, but the amp which I got last month makes it so much better! I picked up a nice little used practice amp from a very small local guitar place. It is a Peavey Audition. I think 15 watts, it only has the lead guitar button, volume and a bass and treble knob. Plenty for me. My used amp was under $100. So, if you found one you want, I’d say go for it sooner rather than later. You’ll be astounded.

1 Like

Hello Wayne and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

Pull that trigger, you’ll not regret it and then you’ll probably find you’ll be switch between your acoustic and electric.

1 Like

I appreciate all the welcoming comments I have received. Yes, we can all learn new tricks! Thanks, Don

4 Likes

I went ahead to Guitar Center and grabbed the amp last night. It’s the Positive Grid Spark, 40 amp. Figuring out how to use it now!

5 Likes

@AndrewCSydney
Hi Andrew, and a warm welcome to the community :hugs:.

Me too. So cool, I’m always learning new things here :smiley:.

I wish you a great journey :grinning:.

1 Like

Welcome Wayne, so nice to have you here :hugs:.

I’ve been playing my acoustic for nearly a year now, and am thinking from time to time of trying an electric. Being able to play both types would definitely enlarge my possible song range (although, I’m not really sure, whether that’s a good thing, as I’m already now overwhelmed by the possibilities :sweat_smile:).

I just wanted to say, great that you’ve got both types and can switch between them as you like :smiley:.

I wish you lots of fun along your guitar journey :grinning:.

1 Like

I’m nearly 50. :sob: I did a lot of things later in life for a number of reasons, for example I am the mother of a two year old! I started teaching myself guitar years ago (over 20!) and I felt old to be doing it then! I didn’t have the money for lessons and there weren’t resources like there are now, forums like Reddit and Justin guitar and free downloads etc etc, I struggled a lot to progress also I really wanted to learn theory and had no one to really spend time with me and answer my questions, in fact I had no one to ask what I wanted to learn so it was just hard and I struggled but got nowhere.
It’s not that an old dog can’t learn new tricks, it’s that often old dogs have other things to be doing other than learning new tricks lol! You have so much more time when you’re young, now I’m older with two kids and a husband and a house to look after and health issues so it’s harder to squeeze the time in to practice to get together with the guys for a play about like I used to but I’m an Indie Kid and Indie Kids always did things differently, there’s no reason I can’t learn to play the way I always dreamt of and to be honest with the internet now the days of having to gig and tour with a band in order to find success are a thing of the past, you can find your audience where you are even if it’s a dedicated few. So yeah I don’t care who you are you can get playing and make the sounds you love, no matter your age! Let’s not gatekeep music, there’s space for everyone and everyone is deserving, I say this because I was made to feel undeserving of making music for years by others but I find healing when I pick up my guitar so it’s important for me to play. You don’t need to be anyone special to play the guitar you just have to pick it up and play. Rock on! \m/

6 Likes

creating a sound you want to hear is a BIG motivation, I find Spanish/classical guitar boring so trying to learn to play acoustic or in that style just wouldn’t interest me. Electric is also better for learning barre chords. There are things that are important to learn but it’s okay to use music you like to motivate you to play and to try and pick apart those songs and work out why you like them and to work up to how to play them. The most important thing is to have fun with it so yeah electric, acoustic or both go for it! Keep rockin’ dude :slight_smile:

1 Like

I often wonder why I didn’t do more sooner but then remember ah yes! There was no internet like there is now and that’s a big factor in why. It really wasn’t easy to just learn things back then. How exciting that you just got a guitar and got playing! You living the dream! Enjoy, these are halcyon days and with hubby on bass? All I’ll say is I hope I can get a free ticket for your first gig! haha! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dont know if im doing this right, new to any type of forum but this one is about something I am enjoying. Im 49 and loving learning through justins lessons. Im not writing loads yet as going to check im in the right place…lol

7 Likes

Hey Carl,

Welcome mate. You’re in the right place for great lessons and a great community atmosphere for progressing on guitar.
Join in, and reach out anytime for advice, feedback, or just a chat.

All the best,

Cheers, Shane.

2 Likes

Hi Renatia, welcome to the community. You’ve found the right place to learn and have fun with your guitar. A lot of “old” dogs around here and as @TheMadman_tobyjenner always says: Never too old to rock’n roll!

4 Likes

Hi Carl! Have a lot of fun and nice to have you here!

2 Likes

Hello Carl and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

You’ll soon get into the swing of things here. Yep you’re in the right place.

1 Like

Thanks for reply , lookin forward to getting some tips and advice…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, looing forward to getting some tips and advice along the way…

1 Like

Cheers, lookin forward to it…

1 Like

Hi everyone ,been following Justin for a couple of years now ! Due to work and family never really been able to practice as much as I needed to .Now at the grand old age of 57 decided to start again from scratch !! Putting aside 30 mins 5 times a week and feeling I’m starting to get the benefit from it ,although somedays I seem to go backwards rather than forwards :grin:

4 Likes

I’ll be sure to send that invite! :upside_down_face:

1 Like