Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hello from the Desert

New to both guitar and this forum. I have a whopping 8 weeks under my belt. Never attempted guitar before. I now have the time and we will see how it goes. Oh. I’m 63 yo recently retired. I love music and like to sing but want to be able to play and have a little fun. My kids are all musical and I’d like to be able to play something they recognize without me telling them what it is. I guess that’s my first goal.

8 Likes

Hi Michael, @mdrainwater
woef woef …or Welcome here , I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses: (edit:) And years to go after the whopping 8 weeks :sunglasses: :grin:

Greetings, Rogier

1 Like

Well this old dog learnt some new tricks, I am not far off 69 and love glam rock, been playing since I was 10 with a 50 odd year gap started again when I retired decided to follow the Justin beginners course the get some knowledge and not try to play every song on the radio just starting grade 2 module 9.

3 Likes

Hello from another Old Dog living in the “High Desert”!!!

Albuquerque is a mile high & much cooler than Phoenix!!! :sweat:

Welcome to the Community, Michael!!! This is a pretty cool place to ask questions & swap info about guitar, music, gear & life!!! Justin’s method is by far the BEST I have found!!! Take it slow and pick up your guitar every day, even if it’s only for a few minutes and you’ll see steady improvement!!! Have lots of fun (that’s what this is all about, after all) and enjoy your musical journey!!!
Good luck!!!

Tod

3 Likes

Hello Michael and welcome to our community. :slight_smile:

That is a great drive and I’m sure you’ll be impressing your kids before you know it.

1 Like

Hello Michael :grinning:

A very warm welcome to the forum.

You’ve found the perfect place here. Like you I’m also a beginner (have started in summer) and I still enjoy every minute. The lessons and song tutorials are great, and when you follow the course and find the time to practice, you’ll soon enjoy your progress and will be able to play your first songs.
Maybe some Christmas songs? There are still some weeks ahead and a lot of time to practice … :christmas_tree: :santa:
I’m sure your kids will love it and recognize your first songs very soon.

Have lots of fun on your musical journey :guitar:

Cheers from Germany
Gunhild :lady_beetle:

2 Likes

Jason from Utah - I am so grateful for this community. I can’t wait to learn from each of you.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Jason. :slight_smile:

Lots of very helpful people here. Enjoy your adventure.

2 Likes

80+ years old! Having a ball relearning old tricks! I may have to for go the singing however.

6 Likes

Hi Nancy (@pyradise ),
I’m 71 and started playing again 4 years ago after a 45 year hiatus. I’m having fun and I’m a much better player now than I was when I played in my teens. I appreciate the learning process more, I’m more patient, and my motivation is different as I already ‘got the girl’.
I wish you the best in your guitar journey!

3 Likes

Thank you, I’m also 45 years out & have more time for perfection!

1 Like

Awesome! Give the singing a shot though, who knows? You might be good at it.

1 Like

Can we get back to a more nineties version of a forum? I can’t scroll through 600 posts :slight_smile:

When does old start according to the Justin community?

1 Like

Hi Nancy @pyradise
Great to see you here . Welcome :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Each time a year older than I am :blush:

Greetings,

2 Likes

I sang when I was younger. Now I sound like the wicked witch in the Wizard of OZ!

2 Likes

Thank you, fun times.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to our community Nancy. :slight_smile:

Never say never on the singing.

2 Likes

I’m in my 80’s and don’t feel old either, but my mirror says otherwise! I’m getting a new mirror!!!

3 Likes

I’m trying to find a guitar book on Amazon with the old 70’s grandma songs by Denver, Lightfoot, the Country/Folk/Pops era, with a website that I can play tunes along with. Any suggestions? Also, I REALLY prefer finger picking to strumming so that would be a plus. Not to say that learning from Justin isn’t a wonderful experience; I discovered I knew nothing compared to what he’s taught me! I’m on Grade 2 (still in lesson 1) but go back to Grade 1 before my Grade 2 practices and play along with Justin’s left handed learning. What a fantastic gift he’s sharing.

3 Likes