Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Its open D but a capo on the second fret (so open E ) but with G not G sharp.

1 Like

So with capo EBE GBE

1 Like

Huge thank you @Richard_close2u :sunflower:

Great list, must have been a load of work.

Very helpful, and it’s nice to see that I’m in such a great company :hugs:

Hope to see you all in the Vintage Club tomorrow!

Cheers
Gunhild, old dog No. 92 :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me @Richard_close2u cool list! :grinning:

1 Like

Those open strings are making an E minor chord.

The top three strings, GBE, are an E minor triad in 1st inversion (b3rd is the lowest note of those three).

Let’s think about looking for a B7 chord on the three thinnest strings. Technically, 7 chords are four notes but we can omit the 5 from the chord and keep its essential character.

Why B7?
Because if yo’re playing around a tonal centre of E minor then B7 is the dominant V7.

B7 = 1, 3, 5, b7 = B, D#, F#, A

B7 (no 5th) = 1, 3, b7 = B, D#, A

From 3rd to 1st strings you can use the equivalent of the three fretted notes from a D7 chord, the ‘inverted triangle’.

Frets 11, 10, 11 give B7 no 5th.

Does that help?

Yes it really does. I had thought about using the inverted D shape.

I was struggling to think around playing around a minor shape. I play slide but want to fret more. This tuning has,to me ,the advantage of easily mixing 5th chords with minor chords(in the same part of the fretboard .

Thanks so much.

1 Like

My cryptic clues don’t seem to be hitting home. I haven’t made the list either!

1 Like

Oh, oh dear, whoops.

This whole business of compiling lists is more challenging than I thought it would be. Can anyone recommend a good online teacher!

:wink:

2 Likes

Just think, all our favorite tunes are like new, every time!

1 Like

Neurologists view: Alzheimer’s is really unfortunately common. In Alzheimer’s, we lose the newer memories first. My goal is to learn some lovely songs really well, while I still have my faculties, so I can play them even when Alzheimer’s sets in. How else to annoy, I mean entertain, my fellows in the memory care unit?

4 Likes

Practice, rinse, repeat - you’re doing very well….just don’t go near the spin cycle :cyclone:

1 Like

Nice list! Still plugging along here, though at a reduced rate for a bit while I move my household to the west. :smiley:

1 Like

I remember the songs I want to play but not the chords without the music in front of me. Come to think of it, even when I played in public in my youth, I needed to see the chords. Most of the songs on Justines app are just for learning purposes for me, not something anyone would expect me to play!

2 Likes

FYI…The book came & using the picking styles is very easy to figure out…I’m not “flowing” yet, but I can actually see what the styles are! I’m good with practicing the picking styles AFTER I do Justine’s lessons. For some reason, if I do the picking before it throws off my strumming patterns. Whatever works! eBay has some of the OLD books like mine for sale.

2 Likes

…and another old dog to add to Richard’s list. Hi all :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Richard, nice work in compiling this list of “old dogs”. I hadn’t realized that the list had grown so large. I’m 68 and still learning new tricks on the guitar thanks to Justin.

2 Likes

This community gives a great feeling of solidarity.

4 Likes

Nancy, thanks for mentioning ebay. And for mentioning this book. When I read about a week or so ago, I looked on Amazon; not available. The abebooks.com, where I have bought many books. Only one copy for $40. So I thought, no, I’ll pass for now. And now today’s now – and I found it on ebay for a total of just under $11 with shipping – ordered!

Please share any other recommendations like that, I’ll do the same!

Mike

1 Like

Steve, 68 is a great age … lol … I’m combining learning guitar – actually studying it for the first time – with doing the same on the keyboard. I love both instruments immensely, and it’s a huge rush to actually learn from people who are so skilled and knowledgeable, and able to teach. Justin is amazing, truly, and while I haven’t been on these boards much yet, everybody seems really terrific.

2 Likes

Welcome, Gone … you’re in quite an awesome group of us older (not old!) dogs … lol …

2 Likes