Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Hi Tima, welcome to the community! It’s a great supportive and inspiring place. Have lots of fun with your guitar playing!

1 Like

Hi All, after spending most of my adult life wishing I had the skills to play guitar (without ever actually having tried :roll_eyes:) I took the plunge recently at 58 years old, and after researching the best equipment for beginners and the best online course, here I am.

I’m now around five weeks in and I manage to get a bit of practice in most nights after work. My finger tips aren’t necessarily sore but the texture is definitely changing !

My biggest problem so far is avoiding finger contact with the wrong string, even on the first chords that we learn, D,A,E etc. Otherwise the motivation is there and I find that Justin’s approach and communication is excellent.

Reading a lot of the comments on here, I understand that the process will be a long one, but now I’m hooked I guess there’s no going back :wink:

4 Likes

Welcome Steve!

Others say that you will be surprised at where you may be in a year from now and I agree with that.

That’s the spirit! Wishing you lots of fun on your journey!

Franz

2 Likes

Hi New Old Dogs @mrpickles and @Techmanic8 and @wwwoolf and @Offshore10

I wish you a lot of fun and a nice learning curve :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

3 Likes

Hi @roger_holland
Thanks for the kind words. So far all is going well. I’m currently on module 10 in the beginner series and module 4 in the guitar theory course. I’m also working on playing standing up, and playing while singing. So far the journey has been great.

4 Likes

I suppose I should join the party. 72 and just bought my first guitar (ignoring an old acoustic I had when I was around 20 - gave up after 10 minutes!) .
Now I have retired I am determined to learn. 2 weeks in and my poor fingers!
I did quite a bit of research and bought a Jet JS 400 and a Fender Champion 20 amp which seem great for a beginner.

3 Likes

Welcome. Lots of other geezers here. Not familiar with the Jet. Looked it up and it appears to be a Strat type, HSS configuration. I use a Fender Champion 20 as well. Always with headphones so as not to annoy the wife.

2 Likes

Welcome Tim @Tim996! You’ll find many kindred spirits here. Hang in there, the finger thing will pass and make room for many new, wonderful challenges!

2 Likes

Hi y’all, greetings from Munich in Germany! Sounds so familiar what some of you wrote - started playing guitar with 11 years, got my first Western Guitar with 13 and that one ruined my playing a lot…hard to play, was not adjusted, probably totally wrong type. So I didnt make much progress until 10 years back, when I invested in a Takamine and since then I play every day with so much fun! Guess I’ll not be able to catch up with everything, but at least I’m on my way to the intermediate level. Anyway, good to be here and thank you Justin for putting up these great lectures and community!

5 Likes

Welcome to the mad house Jens.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello Jens,
greetings from Nuremberg, also in Germany :wink:
Great choice to continue learning the guitar, and equally to become a part of the community!
Wishing you lots of fun!
Franz

3 Likes

Hi Jens @jens_munich ,
Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:
and you already have some experience, so it’s nice to get an extra boost from such a good guitar learning place…Fly my child fly Run Old dog run :smile:

Greetings,Rogier

2 Likes

Welcome Jens from another German, born and raised in Munich, now living pretty close to Munich, down in the south. Have a great time here!

3 Likes

Welcome Jens.

2 Likes

Hi everyone I’m Phil and I live in Lytham St Anne’s, UK. I have been doing Justin’s courses for just over 12 months and am now on intermediate grade 4. Really enjoying Justin’s course and intend to continue and go as far as I can to improve my playing. I am retired so therefore I have lots of time to practice and usually do so most days. Learning the guitar has been beneficial to me in many ways. I have always loved music and Justin’s courses have given me a goal and a purpose. Hope everyone else is enjoying making music and keeps in touch Phil

5 Likes

Welcome, Phil. Man, you’re moving right along! Have you had any experience playing prior to this? I’m still in Grade 2 after a year, I’m a total newbie, though. :crazy_face: Plus I don’t seem to have a lot of time though I’m retired, too!

1 Like

@Tusker68 Great to see you Phil :slight_smile: I’m also working on Grade 4. What are you liking the most so far in Grade 4 ?

1 Like

Hi Phil, welcome to the Community sounds like all is going well with the lessons for you, well done.

ps. I live up the road from you in Kendal, and I’m retired too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello everyone! LaShawne from Maryland, USA, here. Over 50 and excited to learn guitar alongside piano. My kids are all learning piano, so I figured, “Why not me too?” Can’t take a piano on road trips to sing songs though, so enter “Why not learn guitar too?” I grew up playing flute, and I’ve been so excited dabbling in the expanded world of music theory that both the piano and guitar will afford, so here goes! I just found out about Justin Guitar from another music site the other day, and took the plunge. So so excited that I’m not the only one brushing off these older neural pathways :joy::joy:.

5 Likes

Welcome, LaShawne! Absolutely a great idea to take up guitar, too. I’m about to turn 65 and I think it’s a great help with my neural pathways! :grinning: Glad you joined us, it’s a great place.

2 Likes