Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Love this! Very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community, Helen! We’d love to learn a bit about you and your guitar journey.

Edit: oops! I see you’ve already done just that!

1 Like

Welcome, Helen!

1 Like

Getting older is often frustrating. Here it is, my birthday and I can’t plan any of my guitars because of tendonitis in my strumming arm! I’m hoping all these fancy braces I bought will help. A friend who is starting her own sideline bakery thing, made this for me today.

-

8 Likes

What an awesome cake, can’t go wrong with dogs and guitars! I hope you had a great birthday, even without being able to play your guitar :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Helen @Helense15
Welcome here at the old people Dogs place :grin:

Have fun and I hope you find your way around here, otherwise just ask :smiley:
Greetings,Rogier

And Rebecca @LunaRocket
Congratulations on your birthday and I hope you had a nice day :partying_face: :bouquet: :guitar: :notes: :saxophone: :drum: :musical_keyboard:… the cake is very nice and very sweet that your friend has made that. :sunglasses:

And again good luck and hopefully a speedy recovery, brrrrr not being able to play for so long :smiling_face_with_tear:

Greetings

2 Likes

Having problems with playing songs on the App. As soon as the music/vocals and the spotlight is on I go to pieces and forget all my chords. Finding it frustrating and just not making process!

1 Like

@LunaRocket Happy birthday :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

2 Likes

@JohnnyRoyal64

It happened to me when I started recording myself for fun or playing in front of a friend. It was like I forgot the song that I practiced many hours as soon as the mic was on.

Be confident that it will improve with time and pratice :slight_smile: Don’t give up, you can do it !

It will definitely pay off down the line as playing with a backing track in the app is so great for improving your rhythm and chord changes.

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement @math07

1 Like

A very warm welcome to the new dogs in the old kennel.

@mrpickles @Techmanic8 @heckler @wwwoolf @Offshore10 @Tim996 @jens_munich @Tusker68 @CMguitarmama @Helense15

woof woof
:dog2: :dog: :poodle: :service_dog: :guide_dog:

5 Likes

Woof woof! Justin’s Diamond Dogs! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

John, I have had that problem too. I found that when that happens, I have to slow the song down to 50% speed in the app and then play for a while and get my confidence back and then slowly speed up the song each time I practice. It also happens to me when I record and play along to a backing track, but it does get better the more I practice.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard :+1:

1 Like

Thanks very much for your advice. Will try again in my practice routine today

2 Likes

I am not sure what the minimum is to constitute Old Dog, but I definitely feel like that moniker applies to me. I start playing with a Jay Turser strat style guitar that my parents bought me for my birthday when I was 19 for like $100. I was not able to take lessons but learned mostly from my friends who played at the time. I ended up buying and selling several guitars in about a 5 year window acoustic, electric and bass but ended on an Alvarez acoustic. Then I got married and had kids and really did not make the time to practice and play for 20 years other than occasionally picking up and playing the same 3 songs every few months. In the new year I decided I needed something artistic to keep life interesting and I wanted my kids to also see the joy of music. Since then I cannot stop. I bought an Epiphone electric so I could jam with the kids as they learn and had a rickety old bass given to me for free. I have gotten farther in 6 months than I had in the past 25 years. I cannot thank Justin and the community enough for providing community here and providing examples like you all of people that just decided to give it a shot. Thank you!

7 Likes

Welcome Shawn @Svoisine! Like you, I think a big part of being an “old dog” is state of mind. I expect you’ll be happy among this group. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh how true Judi. I might be 68 on paper but I’m at least 30 years younger in my mind, Well until my body does a fact check. :rofl:

5 Likes

I misread the word fact and had to do a double take!
:joy:

3 Likes

Hi… Prakash here from Dallas.
Definitely an old dog trying to learn a new trick. Just to give you context of where I am, my first step was to download a picture of a guitar to learn all the parts… :laughing:

So, here to give it a shot. My goal is the some day play “another brick in the wall” by PInk Floyd. So… wish me luck !

9 Likes