Older guitar students - can 'old dogs' learn new tricks?

Welcome to the forum Scott

Welcome, Scott @Scoooter! You’re in good company here. Congratulations on finishing level 1!

Hi Glyn @SparkyGlyn and Scott @Scoooter

Welcome here and with your 57 years still in the younger levels in this topic :smile:

I wish you both a lot of fun and a nice learning curve :smiley:

Greetings,Rogier

Welcome Scott! :slight_smile:

OK I’m not even sure what I’m doing on the message board here. What things to click on. I’m 60 trying to learn guitar. Like everybody new my fingers hurt and are sore to even type. I wished the app and the website synced. I’m curious how much practice should go with each lesson before you move on to the next. To start with I kind of moved quickly up to chord changes and listened to the first strumming one. I also found myself having to go back because I didn’t remember the chords I learned from two or three days ago. So I’m having two challenges learning the computer and guitar.

3 Likes

Greetings from Corvallis, Scott @Scottp63! I’ve been at this for over 2.5 years now, and started just a little younger than you are. If I may, I’ll share some of my experiences:

The app is great, but I didn’t rely on it on its own. I think that when I started the app didn’t yet have lessons - and if it did I don’t remember. That said, I did eventually try the app lessons. What worked well for me was watching the lessons from the website on my computer. (I don’t do well concentrating on video content delivered via small screens.) I think the lessons are pretty much the same on the website and the app, but the website has the advantage of written notes to go along with the video. There is also a Community topic for each lesson. You can read the topic directly from the lesson website (see the Discussion tab); you can also connect to the Community directly from there (Click “View Full Discussion” at the bottom of the Discussion page). It would be nice if the website and app were synched, but the tech just isn’t currently (or perhaps affordably) there.

I’m guessing you’re working through the lessons in Grade 1 Module 1. Some people sit down and watch all the lessons in a session or two, then begin practicing the material. I prefer to play around with the new material as it’s introduced (though admittedly I recall watching all the Module 1 lessons in a single go!). In any event: For Grades 1 and 2, Justin provides a suggested practice routine (including the amount of time to spend on each item during each practice session); he also provides guidance for when to move on to the next module. You might want to skip ahead and look at those in Module 1 so you’ll have a better feel of what to expect.

There is a lot to absorb getting started - the guitar stuff, of course, but the tech side as well. You’ll figure out a way that works best for you. I promise, with some patience, time, and the support of this community, you’ll hit your stride quickly! Don’t be shy to ask more questions. :smiling_face:

Have you tried other programs? For me being retired free is a good price. Thought about a community college but I was to late for the Fall semester.

1 Like

Hi again, Scott @Scottp63, when I decided to pick up guitar, I researched programs and landed on Justin. I’ve explored other programs, but haven’t tried them at length. This community is a huge bonus that other programs just don’t have. I use other resources in complement to this one, usually for a specific song, or something I’m struggling with. (Did I mention I have no natural talent? :rofl:) Agree with free being a good price, especially for such quality content, and especially for a retiree! I support Justin as I can, though, and it feels nice to support someone who gives so much. I did start taking lessons with one of Justin’s approved teachers earlier this year (so after I’d been doing lessons for about 2 years) and it’s been great.

1 Like

Hi Scott, @Scottp63

Welcome here and I wish you a lot of fun :sunglasses:

And getting to know the whole platform here takes a while, I was also a 'complete computer no nothing about something at all ’ person and I sometimes read back things that I posted in the beginning that make me feel well :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:, but I didn’t break anything. :blush:

Take your time here and practice a lot now you have the time :sunglasses:

Greetings,Rogier

Hello Scott & Welcome!

I think you will find that learning guitar is challenging & often difficult but it’s so rewarding as you progress! Justin has the best online courses I’ve found! As a “dabbler” for several decades, I found that the last several months with Justin have really helped me to learn new skills & get better at the ones I already have!
The fact that the app & the website don’t sync is a bit frustrating… I try to use this to my advantage. I normally do lessons & track my progress on the website & use the app for lesson review. Just this morning I was waiting at my doctor’s office & watching Justin discuss Developing Repertoire in the App! Using waiting time to my advantage! The “Guitar Karaoke aspect is good too! A good habit is to listen & write down the chord progression the first couple of times… then maybe listening a couple more times while strumming muted strings to get the rhythm/feel of the song. Then, slow it down & try a play-along!
Before long you’ll be strumming away at full tempo!!!
Good luck!

Tod from New Mexico

4 Likes

Exactly what Tod said! Weclome, Scott.

1 Like

Hi Scoooter & Welcome!

How cool to be returning to guitar after a 40 year hiatus! Hope that Justin can help you to become the guitar player that you dream of becoming!
If you’re playing the same guitar that sat unused for 4 decades, it’s definitely a good idea to take it to a shop & have it re-strung & setup by a qualified guitar tech or luthier… the playability will probably be so much better afterwards! Let them know you’re a “newbie” & that you need some light or extra-light strings to help ease a bit of finger pain until you develop calluses!
Always remember to Keep it Fun!!!

Tod

1 Like

Welcome, Scooter, the Scotts are stacking up! :rofl: A relative youngster, you’ll do great!

1 Like

Been on the forum about a month now and just discovered this thread. I was doubtful about learning guitar at my age (67) so finding so many people in a similar position is really encouraging.
I’m working my way through grade one of the beginners course and so far, (sore) fingers crossed, it’s going well.
Good luck to us all
Mick

4 Likes

Welcome, Mick, I’m 65 and only started 20 months ago (with having NEVER even touched a real guitar before) and I’m having fun and doing well enough that I decided I needed an acoustic guitar to go with my cheapo Strat and much nicer PRS. You can do a lot at our age! Have fun!

2 Likes

Hi Mick @micknew, and welcome! Glad you found us, and thank you for the introduction. Now…don’t be a stranger… :smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah I’m currently using my sons old Yamaha acoustic, it’s decent enough, but have promised myself an upgrade when (if) I complete the beginners course

2 Likes

Hello Mick & Welcome to the ‘Old Dog’s’ kennel!!!

I saw your intro post the other day but someone walked into my office & I got too busy to reply, so Welcome to the Community as well!!!

There are A LOT of older learners here who are having loads of fun along the way in their musical journeys!
Speaking for myself, although I may look older than Tommy Emmanuel, I’m never going to be able to play like him!!!

Enjoy putting your knowledge of music theory to use with a new instrument & most importantly, keep it fun!!!

Tod from New Mexico USA

1 Like

Hi Mick, @micknew Welcome I the old peo dogs house :smiley:
No… if … complete ,just when. It’s fine to do so just start looking for a new (second hand if necessary) guitar :sunglasses: Happy hunting :wink:

Greetings, Rogiere

1 Like

I started at 67. Here I am, eight years later, still at it. I’m no virtuoso, but I play well enough to keep myself amused for a couple of hours every afternoon, which is all I was really looking for.

4 Likes