OMG - ISP Speed lol

After I quit VM , I joined Zen, boy am I glad I did that.
Shame I can’t take it with me if I ever move.
New ISP is a dream lol…

Rachel.

6 Likes

Jeez that’s fast! There was me thinking mine was smoking it, there again it only costs me £18.50 a month for unlimited data!

2 Likes

Normandie copper comms out in the sticks. But gives me what I need even with the low numbers. Live is slow and t’internet is slower but all is cool.
Life in the fast lane ? Pah !
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

This is as good as it gets where I am.

1 Like

I was a suckka for games at one point and was downloading over 50 Gb a month on new launches. Scotty had to give its all, all the time lol.

I jumped at the offer from zen when it came to slough, I have a lifetime price guarantee as long as I never change my package £47 for ISP and £7.50 for voip. I don’t do TV packages now , just prime and Netflix binge.

I think I was lucky to live in an area that boasted one of the first Gb business estates and the residents had the chance to join in. Who wouldn’t

R.

4 Likes

You could always look at satellite feed , I hear that got better over the years as they all do.

R.

As they say, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.

R.

Yes, but a lot of latency on satellite.

The new LEO satellites, like Starlink, are better, but still higher latency than copper or fibre.

It depends,.of course, on your usage patterns as to what’s important. For downloading or streaming films latency is unimportant. For online gaming, latency is normally more important than bandwidth.

Also, more recently, Starlink have been lowering their speeds as customer take-up increases.

Cheers,

Keith

3 Likes

Interesting, mine is Mifi as our local ISP’s wired or fibre are not very good and much more expensive; I got mine initially for our Caravan (Static) but when it proved to be very good and 5G became available where I live I got the best package for a crazy price and boy does it perform!

2 Likes

All I can say is…damn, isn’t this amazing? Instant all over the globe communication, HD music and video on demand! Entire guitar courses at our fingertips!

I know there is a large cohort of us older folks here. Anyone remember the dark ages before the internets? Or worse…dialup? That was painful, so full of potential and yet such crap.

I learned to program a punch card computer…

6 Likes

I remember , eww…

R.

1 Like

I remember downloading stuff through the Ceefax Teletext service as well, in the early days of the BBC Micro.

Even 300 baud modems were fast after that.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

I was 7 when my brother got a commodore pet, and we played pong lol. Even before that there was a really small black flip open case that I cant recall the name of. vaguely recall maybe .5K memory.

R.

1 Like

+1 on the Star Trek reference @Libitina!! :grin: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Haha are you saying that dialup internet is worse than no internet at all? :sweat_smile: :joy:

I’ll be having nightmares after that reminder ! One of our auditor’s programmes had several trays of punch cards and the ops used brick themselves a) in case they dropped a stack and b) if they stuck them through in the wrong order in the card reader, as he’d go ape !!
System cold starts every morning needed a 7 inch block of cards to load the Master Control Program (Burroughs). Then again switching from online to batch. Oh happy days !!
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yay for nostalgia, let bygones be gone. For ever…

R.

2 Likes

Yes! Sooooo frustrating. Rather not have had the option at all. It wasn’t all that exciting or useful back then IMO…

There’s always other options

5 Likes

That is impressive Rachael.

I love Zen. We have used them for years at work. Hardly ever any issues with them. Their customer service is superb and the speed they say you should get you get.

1 Like