One handed practice ideas

I have over done the guitar playing and ended up with tendinitis in my thumb. I’ll have to rest it for a period (1 month at least) so wonder what I can do in the meantime to practice just using my strumming hand. Any have any thoughts?

You could practice strumming patterns by muting the strings wuth your fretting hand. Theory is always an option. The first 2 grades of the PMT are free.

1 Like

As Stitch says, practicing strumming patterns is a great idea, it will definitely help you progress. Also a bit of ear training on intervals and chord tonality (Major, Minor, 7ths and Sus chords would be good, it all helps to improve your knowledge.

2 Likes

I’d go for something that you normally neglect because you’d rather be playing than studying. So music theory, ear training, transcribing, something like that. I’m potentially in a similar position myself as I’ve been having issues with my left little finger which aren’t going away.

1 Like

All good suggestions so nothing add, except speedy recovery.
My only advice would be to learn from the experience and ease back into playing when you’ve recovered and pace yourself in the future. All the best.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @DarrellW @TheMadman_tobyjenner @Goffik @stitch . Lots of good ideas here to keep my learning progressing
Strumming will be a good technique to soak up while my left hand is out of action so I just signed up for the Strumming Technique course.
Theory course I am currently doing (and loving) so that may get bit more attention

You can be sure Toby I will be very mindful once I can get back to full playing. I do not want to be in this position again. With that in mind; my advice to you Ross is to have your finger checked out asap then follow doctors orders. I did not and look where I find myself.

Thanks again guys :grinning:

1 Like

Another 8 weeks minimum off the guitar. Then building up from 5 minutes a day. Gutted
Anyhow ……it is what it is. I focus on the day I can play again pain free.

2 Likes

Well can you believe it but I’m back playing!!! :smiley: :smiley:
Being very careful and playing strictly to the times my physio is advising (40 min a day for now).
Very diligent with my strengthening & mobility exercises.

I genuinely thought I would not get back to this such was the pain in my thumb and it totally demotivated me as I thought it could actually be the end of my journey. So pumped to realise that is not the case and, if I remain diligent with my recovery, there is no reason I will not achieve my guitar goals. Might take a bit longer than my original 5yr plan but will still get there.

Gone back to earlier practice modules to blow the cobwebs off, blasting through those and just enjoying playing again.

So good to be back!

5 Likes

Good to hear you’re back to playing. Take care and be patient don’t over do it.

1 Like

Hi Colin, glad to read that you are back on track. Hope that you can go on for the next years. Good luck!

1 Like

Great news Colin but take it easy.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Colin,
How nice that you will succeed again while you thought that playing guitar was over,…that will be a nice boost for your mind :sunglasses: :partying_face: :sunglasses:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Excellent to hear Colin, as others have said pace yourself but most of all enjoy! :+1:

1 Like