One Minute Changes Exercise

42! Being able to leave a comment was tedious!

Well I wound up with 20 clean changes first time trying. Yay me. As an side, how can one do 60 in seconds if we’re including strumming?

1 Like

Hi Allen and welcome.

Well from a maths perspective you just strum at 60 beats per minute and change chords between the strums, That’s it, sounds simple but you need to work up to that level,

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hey Toby thanks for the reply. Can’t believe my newbie brain didn’t put two and two together and realize to simply strum at 60 bpm. Thanks for the tip. I’ll add it to my routine. Cheers!

1 Like

Allen

Don’t try jumping straight from 30 to 60 though. Try using a metronome as others have suggested and just bump it a couple of bpm each time you get to a consistent level. With just gradual increases it often doesn’t register as much as leap or 5 or 10, do that for a while and you will soon be up to 60. But don’t go chasing targets after that. 60 will be great for muscle memory but don’t forget if you learn songs with a faster tempo in the future, you can do the OMC exercise if you encounter a difficulty change in the progression. And just work on that.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Adjusting bpm on Time Trainer App

Wow that is really nice pracitce. I got 32 on my first try! Coool! :slight_smile: Thank you Justin.

1 Like

@gj312 I think you will want to look at all the information on the “Learn More” tab.
This is to the left of the “Discussion” tab under the video lesson.
I think it will answer all your questions, including a link to the practice assistant.

1 Like

There’s a “Practice” link at the end of each “Module” that collects everything you’ve covered in the module and puts it into a pre-arranged practice routine. Click that “Practice” link and it’ll add it to your routines and ask if you want to make it your new practice routine.

From there, in your account dashboard, there’s a big practice button to begin your daily practice (and the practice icon along the left border in the dashboard). You can also build up your own practice routine; there’s a lesson on how to work the practice interface here: Using My Practice Assistant | JustinGuitar.com

On OMC’s, this thread led me to discover Justin’s older OMC app yesterday; that’s a little gem! I love that it throws out random combo’s one doesn’t see in the normal lessons. It’s a great app for focused OMC sessions throughout the day. :smiley:

1 Like

New to the site, I have been stumbling around Utube picking bits up here and there and was recomended to have a go at your site so here I am, I watch people on the net and think how hard can it be when watching then try and play…monkey see monkey do, well this monkey isnt hitting it so lets start again from the beginning

1 Like

Hi Phil! You could spend a lifetime jumping around on the ‘tube picking up scraps here and there, and there are definitely some very talented players and instructors out there, but none that provide the proven course structure that Justin provides here, for the low low price of FREE!

Yeah, I had this thought a couple of years ago, too. I mean, look around and see how many people there are that play guitar! And it is people of all sizes, ages, nationalities, income levels! Hell man, if all of those people can play like that it can’t be too hard!

Well, what I have learned is that I was selling those people short. With a very tiny few exceptions, all of those people worked very hard to acquire the skills necessary to play and sing and make it look effortless. But, if all of those people were able to work hard enough and practice hard enough to achieve that, I should be able to do the same, right?

Seriously welcome to the community. There is a wonderful group of knowledgeable and incredibly supportive people here at all skill levels, ready to encourage you and answer questions.

There is a tradition for newcomers to post an introductory message and tell a little bit about yourself here: #community-hub:introduce-yourself. Stop by, leave a message, and bask in the warmth of the greetings you will receive!

2 Likes

41 year old and picked up my first guitar yesterday. I did 19 my first go and then 25, 30, and 38. The 30 and 38 especially were sloppy. I tend to hit the top strings when I don’t mean to. I plan to spend the rest of the day practicing this lesson before I move on.

1 Like

about a month into my journey, and recently started here. I was able to get 40 changes in 60 seconds…but I’m not happy yet!

1 Like

I would be pretty happy if I could have done that after a month!

1 Like

Hi Brett and Shaun, great job you two! Congratulations on finding the absolute best instructor and the best instructional course! As if that’s not enough, you’ve even found the best community of fellow learners to help you along on your journey. It is traditional, though of course not mandatory, for people to stop by here #community-hub:introduce-yourself and say hi to everyone and tell us a little about yourself. Whatever you want to share, such as where in the world you might be from, how long you have played guitar, what kind of music you want to play, what kind of guitar you have, what’s your favorite color (blue! No, yellow!!!), anything at all. I guarantee that you will be warmly greeted by many nice people who are all eager to help you along with any questions or struggles you may encounter.

1 Like

Me too, Joshua! (If I may call you Joshua?)

2 Likes

Does anyone else not move their anchor finger much if not at all? I have short stubby fingers and I noticed when changing from D to A, I don’t move my anchor finger. I just kinda tilt it and wrap the other finger up over it. If I slide it back it’s always muted. I’m assuming everyone has different anatomy and if it works it works? I just don’t want to get into a bad habit.

1 Like

As long as things sound clean it’s fine. My first finger tends to sit behind the other two when playing the A chord and will slide slightly further forward towards the bridge when playing the D chord but not significantly…I also have quite small hands.

1 Like

Sounds like your anchor finger must not be very close to the front of the fret when you are playing the D chord; otherwise you wouldn’t be able to form the A chord without sliding the finger back, right? A couple of pictures showing your fingers might help. My instinct is to say if you aren’t having trouble with the chord changes and they sound good then you are probably ok.

1 Like

The A chord is killing me. So little space for so many fingers. :slight_smile: Done 35, did not sound good, though.

I am glad to have found this site, it is just way beyond any other online guitar lessons or apps.

2 Likes