One Minute Changes Exercise

Hi, I’m revisiting one minute changes, had time off guitar due to inury & other life events.
Something about these again I wonder about. Should the strings be muted between chords? I find the chords blend to each other & become noise. Or should the guitar be muted between chords so each chord is distinctive? Of course the second option results in less changes per minute. Thanks

1 Like

Don’t worry about the chords merging for now. The exercise is to develop speed how quickly you can change chords you can worry about the mutant between changes later.

1 Like

Thanks, thougtht this might be the case. Might do the one minute changes without amp.

1 Like

Just make sure the initial chords is relatively clean if unamped. You’ll learn to mute chords with either hand so don’t sweat it for now. 1 MCs all about speed. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I got 17 changes my first try with the A & D chords. I did better than I thought I would!

3 Likes

Great exercise, I’ve never seen this one before and it really helped me change chords faster! Did 62 in 60 seconds, moderate speed, all clean.
This exercise made me faster and cleaner.
Awesome tip! Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Aaron, @aarow019 and Robert , @roberttosa ,

Welcome here,… and good that you are happy with this exercise,…it’s really a great one, :sunglasses:
Don’t be a stranger and search further in the community for more,…An introduction or something :smiley: :wink:
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Great lesson. Managed 20 on my first attempt.

4 Likes

First time playing a chord.

Did 15 minutes practice, 2 minute breaks
First Try: 26 Changes
Second Try: 25 Changes
Third Try: 32 Changes
Fourth Try: 32 Changes
Fifth Try: 32 Changes

Picked up speed as I stopped looking at my right hand as I strum, trying to hit every note right.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community and to the journey, Andrew! That’s a heck of a lot better than I did.

The One Minute Chord change exercise is really amazing! I managed to do 15 changes in 1 minute, which I am really proud of considering that last night i was not even able to get the D chord finger placement correctly!

4 Likes

@Olivia11, its the same with me as well. i think its the same going from one stringed instrument to another because my dad was the same way picking up uke after learning guitar. And for all you beginner guitarists out there, uke is a really good place to start, its helped me a lot. it is a really great start for people with zero music background (i taught myself uke when i was 8 so i’m confident anyone could pick it up without issues)

4 Likes

Hello Annie, and a warm Welcome to the community :hugs:.
Sometimes, I’ve thought ‘Maybe, I should have learnt to play a uke first?’
It would have made learning to play the guitar probably a bit easier :thinking::slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

This was great. I did 20 changes in a minute and the notes sounded OK. I am really enjoying this course and look forward to moving forward in my playing.

3 Likes

CJ @hockeyceej
First of all welcome to the community :grinning:
Great start with OMC keep going.
Michael :+1:

I’m having the same trouble Chris, I’ll take another look at the lesson too. Thanks for sharing and good luck.

1 Like

very important lesson!! My wrist started hurting, very difficult to count while playing same time, ive done 37 in 30s, but im going keep practicing till i reach 60s without wrist pain.
hank you Justin for this lesson.

I wish i could get to 60 chord changes in a minute day three of that exercise im at 37

I wish I could do 37, I’m more than 2 weeks in and just managed 34 today!

Here’s an odd thing I found for me. When I practice OMC A to D, I am better at it than I am on the D to A… :confused:

Am doing great already with the OMC, thanks Justin! 40 so far

Mohamed @DrMZGuitarist
First of all welcome to the community.
40 changes sounds good, keep it up :+1:
Michael