One Minute Changes Exercise

Morning everyone! Anyone have any tips on how to get the strings to stop ringing out during these chord change exercises? I’m about to have my guitar (Squier Strat) set up (finally) so hopefully that will help alleviate the issue but any playing tips would be greatly appreciated. I have no effects or anything like that, just a nice, clean tone when I’m practicing.

1 Like

Kevin

I would not worry about it too much at this stage and especially when doing the OMCs. The primary objective to to improve the speed of the change between chords. If they ring they ring. Justin covers muting using both hands later in the course. And you can assess how clean the chords, listening to ring out. If you’re playing songs its a different matter. You can use the edge of your strumming hand or come off the strings “slowly” when fretted so it deadens the sound.
But OMCs ? Don’t worry about it.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t developing a bad habit that would impact later lessons. I’ll be mindful if it starts happening as I’m playing songs.

2 Likes

This is always a good exercise. i have been playing for years. When I have a complicated four finger chord that must change to another complicated chord, I go back to this exercise to work it out.

2 Likes

Hi,
Im just starting out and enjoying the course so far. Just a question though - I’m the first exercise routine there is 1 minute chord changes A to D and another one D to A. Is t that the same, as you count each chord change I.e A-D-A is 2 changes, so what is the difference between the two exercises? Maybe I’m missing something?
Thanks!

1 Like

Just do the same exercise twice :slight_smile: In later modules you’ll learn new chords where your OMC time will be spent changing between different sets.

1 Like

Just the A & D chords in this module, in later modules you’ll learn new chords and practice changing between them per the course structure.

1 Like

Different launch pad. In the not to distant future you could be playing a songs with A D & E. One might start with a bar of A then go to D. One might start with a bar of D then go to A. Start the OMC from a different chord, you have those bases covered. JMHO :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m new on here and I’m enjoying Justin’s style of teaching and his quick but through vids.

I’m on the one minute practice already. I wanted to know if we just practice the chords he showed us or do we look for new ones?

3 Likes

welcome to the forums. When I did the one minute practice, I did it for chords A E and D as they were the chords for the first song I chose to learn. So I’d say it depends on where you think you are going.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community, Lea.

If you’ve just started then I suggest following the Grade methodically, lesson by lesson, module by module.

Generically I’d say the approach is learn the chords (A & D are now the first two I think). Once you are comfortable making the shapes, then begin to change between the two. Once OK with that then start with OMC. And when doing OK, maybe around 30, then pick songs to learn and play that use the chords. Rinse and repeat.

Justin provides guidelines for practice and what you should be able to do before moving on. For me the approach that worked was to stick to his programme, slow and steady.

2 Likes

Perfect, thank you for your detailed answer.
I got a little confused because I see there’s an app and there’s books so I wasn’t sure. I think I read somewhere that the app, let’s you learn quicker?

1 Like

I haven’t used the app, Lea, so can’t really comment with authority.

I imagine the teaching lessons are similar.

Where the App really helps is in the guitar karaoke style play along with songs. Adding other instruments and a vocal plus being able to follow the beats and changes should help making the playing of songs more fun, until you can wean yourself off it and eventually playing from memory.

3 Likes

Hi, welcome!

If possible I would highly recommend using both the website and app to get the best of both worlds.

In my opinion lessons should be viewed on the website because there’s often additional instruction in written form below the video which is immensely helpful. The website also has a great practice assistant which is fantastic for maximizing productivity and will allow you to get the most out of your practice time.

The app is an amazing tool for practice in conjunction with the aforementioned practice assistant. Practicing one minute chord changes and further reinforcing them with the karaoke game @DavidP mentioned is a whole lot of fun and just works so well! That part alone is worth the subscription IMHO.

If I was to choose just one it would easily be the website though.

2 Likes

Thanks both of you, good to know I was doing it right (well, still a long way to go though :grin:)

3 Likes

I also use both the app and the website. The lesson videos are exactly the same, but the app does not include the text descriptions that are on the website. One reason I decided to purchase the app and the JG Time Trainer and OMC app was just to support Justin a little bit out of appreciation for this amazing almost completely free site. The apps are dirt cheap and very high quality - especially the new version that was released recently. Having said that, you will be absolutely fine if you use the website exclusively. The practice assistant is a fantastic tool.

3 Likes

Hi Justin, thanks for the lessons! I’m not a complete beginner, but have not played in years and years, and was never really good. So, I’m hoping to grow. I did 34 changes from D-A, but I learned the old A, and so that is new for me. Plus, my fingers are killing me!

1 Like

I would start out with the chords as taught in the courses. Get good at the early cords and play songs with them. You will add chords along the way. Not too much point in trying to “nail” a bunch of cords you aren’t ready to use yet.

Later, when you want you can try Justin’s one minute changes app. You can add your own cords to that.

Welcome @madie! That means you are having fun! The pain does ebb after a bit.

I have recently gone back to the one minute changes after a year in. I didn’t give it enough the first go round. Keep it up!

1 Like

I got 15 chord changes on my first time

2 Likes

What was the old a chord?

1 Like