Open D Tuning

View the full lesson at Open D Tuning | JustinGuitar

1 Like

Police Dog Blues by Blind Blake is one of the best. Also, Dust My Broom Elmore James. Dark was the Night Cold Was the Ground Blind Wille Johnson. Tons of ragtime stuff. More modern. Stones Stret Fighting Man. Little Martha, Allman Brothers. Even Flow, Pearl Jam. There’s a ton! You

1 Like

1-4-5 Blues Shuffle - Definitely worth exploring and is a great starting spot for anyone interested in adding a slide later on.

A number of Dylan songs are in open D, especially songs from Blood on the Tracks.

(Some are in open E tuning, which you can mimic by tuning to open D and placing a capo on fret 2.)

I was going to mention Dylan as well - for sure Simple Twist of Fate and Shelter from the Storm are in open D capo II. Joni Mitchell has at least a dozen songs in open D, often w/capo: Big Yellow Taxi, Cactus Tree, You Turn Me On I’m a Radio, Both Sides Now, Court & Spark, Chelsea Morning. No discussion of alternate tunings is complete without her. BTW, Dylan’s Tangled up in Blue emerged from him dousing himself in Joni’s album Blue.
https://jonimitchell.com/music/viewalltranscriptions.cfm?sortby=by%20Tuning