Open Mic 009 - Call For Interest

If there’s space in the audience, then I would like to attend if I can.

Although it’s fairly early in the AM here (UTC+8), and I’m attending a house-warming party this evening (which, depending on how the party goes, could mean I’m still awake, or in a coma in the corner of a room somewhere).

IoW no promises I will make it, but if I can, I will.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

No problem Keith. Just surfacing so will send info etc later :sunglasses:

1 Like

Mer

Many thanks for the advance warning. You will be able to catch the performances in the post show thread, once the video has been published. Just for info, each Open Mic has its own Call For Interest (CFI) inviting both audience and performers to join the show. So keep an eye out for the CFI for Open Mic X, which should be posted in the very near future.

Appreciate the kind words. :pray:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

Ah, another serendipitous typo for ‘seek and destroy:laughing: (@Richard_close2u)

I’m hoping when I get back, everything will be sorted :rofl:

1 Like

:rofl: You read both my mind and my euphimisms…

2 Likes

Hello, I would like an audience link to the Sat open mike. U.S. New York time

If I plug my electric into my 2i2 with no effects, so not going through a DAW, then could someone please let me know what it might sound like? Would it be okay for an OM, or is it going to sound pretty poor?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

@Noodleman Welcome Noodleman. Looking forward to hearing All of me at some point int the future

Michael

Welcome to the community, can you confirm that you’re UTC-4 so I can give you the right local start time. Once confirmed I’ll update the audience list and send you the link. :+1:

As this is your first post, why not pop over to https://community.justinguitar.com/c/community-hub/introduce-yourself/263
and say hi to everyone and tell us a little about yourself.

Cheers

Toby

John - Does that mean only half of you will be playing tomorrow ? It better be the top half. :rofl:

1 Like

Stefan maybe one for @DavidP as I am sure he has a 2i2, sorry can say for sure. If you fire Zoom up and create a meeting you can record it and see for yourself. I’ve DIed my electics into my Behringer AIs but they have EQ to enhance the sound and the X1204 has FX as well.
Hopefully some will shout up.

1 Like

It would sound pretty thin. You don’t need a DAW: a DAW is, primarily, for recording and mixing. You probably do need an amp emulator. In plugin form, this could work directly in OBS.

You can use a DAW, as a way of running the plugin, but it’s overkill if you aren’t recording/mixing.

I’m not familiar with Windows or Mac plugins, so I can’t advise. I have used ToneLib and it is good and good value.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

@SgtColon

Stefan, I think it should sound OK but may just be soft. Your pickups are passive so signal strength will be low. You’ll have to boost the gain on 2i2. What you hear will reflect the tone of your pickups.

You can plug the guitar in and headphones, select direct monitor and you can hear what it sounds like.

Now if you have OBS you may be able to add some tone processing on the guitar in OBS. I don’t know if you have installed a DAW like Reaper. If you have then OBS may pick up a selection of VST plugins and allow you to use those.

1 Like

Thank you @DavidP, I’ll give that a go and see how it sounds.

It’s the day before and I still can’t decide which song to do. It’s all too much. :smiley:

1 Like

Just bring the ear muffs and you’ll be fine :+1:

:rofl: :rofl: It’s you lot that are going to need some form of ear protection. :smiley:

2 Likes

Some last minute admin this evening as the audience and performer lists ebb and flow.
Some last minute guitar set up this afternoon due to some expected string buzz.
Some last minute tweaks on the PlayAcoustic and my AI as the levels were off.
Some last minute rehearsals and soundcheck and sign off from my producer - good to go.
And a Dry Run recording in Zoom in case something goes pear shaped and I have to bail.
Not as good as I wanted but a yardstick never the less.

In 10 minutes, it will be T-21hours.

Performers, I hope your preparations have been going well and you are also good to go !
Audience, hope you have stocked up with nibbles and the beverage of your choice and wait with unabated anticipation.

Lets rock and roll !

1 Like

I’m waiting with anticipation to watch the video post on YouTube on Sunday with a fry up :sunglasses:

Good luck to all performers but I know you dont need it and as for the audience enjoy the performances.

3 Likes

Cheers James, thanks for the support. :sunglasses:

IMHO it’s not going to sound good, not what you’d expect. It’s more alike to the acoustic sound of playing an electric unamped. Not like playing through a clean amp.

Another characteristic of the 2i2 without going through DAW or similar is that input 1 goes full left channel and input 2 goes full right channel (or vice versa) which is usually not what you want.

You’re better off using an amp sim like Amplitube (many others as well) either standalone or as a DAW plugin. Or if your amp has line out then using that.

1 Like