Open Mic 06: Recording + After-Show Party & Chat

OK Peeps

Thought I’d let you know the cause of last night interference storm would seem to be resolved. In true Madman style I have just had a successful Zoom meeting with myself (PC and LT) and passed Kellogg’s free audio between both devices, the main being Reaper/OBS/Zoom from the PC to the Laptop.

Seems that audio sample rates need to be consistent across the board. So all appears to be fine with all apps and devices now running at 48k. Well that’s on a pre-recorded project and should be ok but I might just push some live sound in to Zoom later to be on the safe side.

So problem solved I am going to enjoy the pre-release footage and catch up on all the audio I missed last night.

There’s no business like show business.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well done Toby!

Does this warrant an update to any of the technical guide topics in the OM Category?

Let me think about that. It went mega haywire after I change the OBS sample to match my normal Reaper setting of 44.1k and I think its more related to using ReaRoute rather than ReaStream. Ironically, given what appears to be the fixed, if I had changed Reaper to 48k and not OBS I suspect all would have been ok !!

I’ll see what the next OM brings but by then I’ll be in a different ball game with the Trio+ all being well. Ha and no doubt a host of different issues.

Init great :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve added a link to the event recording in the first post of this Topic, with a link to a transcript of the Chat.

Thanks again, Adrian!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the chat, David, since either the snow or the cold kicked me out at the end of my song. Thanks for all the nice comments, folks, I was not feeling too happy after my song. We are really and truly our own worst critics - I gotta work on that!!

2 Likes

The mention of Metallica doing Whiskey in the Jar got my attention. Gave it a spin. Certainly heavier, but perhaps the solos lacking the melodic quality of some of Lizzy’s? Anyhow, that led me on to some others. You can check them out here: What are you currently listening to? - #178 by DavidP

1 Like

OK peeps, with yesterdays audio circus now resolved, I have now completed listening to the raw video Adi put out for review. I chucked a few sporadic comments in the chat last night but really did not get a total perspective on everyone’s performance. Adi’s feed froze on me a couple of times and doesn’t like to fast forward, well for me, so I missed the end of Jak and Holly’s AL cover and Jason’s closing song but recall it sounded good last night !

So here is my feed back on everyone. Thought it was a great success. All the “newbies” did really well and fitted in seamlessly, so I hope you’ll be up for another go in the future. Also big thank you to everyone in the audience, is was great to go back through all the chat today as the sets played through and see so much support, alongside the usual banter. I hope the show also inspires some of you for future Open Mics !

@Rossco01
Jason – great cover of an old classic. Vocals on point as usual and great set up with the backing. Think I’ll be enjoying the Trio !! Well done, polished as always.

@DavidP
DavidP – Boy that was great. Totally missed most of you and Rob’s set. Great choice of song for you, well played and well sung. Was that some chorus on the play acoustic or my hearing ? Good to hear this unplugged. Lizzy version on my to playlist but just saw Adi Metallica comment, Mmm maybe ! Great cover of that old NY classic surprised it hadn’t been on your radar, you did it proud.

@R.F.W
Rob – Your French accent is as good as mine ! Great song choice to make your debut. Solid R & B, solid rhythm thought you did really well and great tone from the acoustic. Sign up for the next one please !

@pikeamus
Mike – Always a pleasure to listen to you and a wonderful choice of songs. Lovely picking skills, very intricate, impressive to do that and sing. Songs suited your vocals perfectly. Not familiar with the originals but who cares your versions sounded pretty darned good !

@adi_mrok
Adi – Great choice of group haven’t the Connells for ages. Played very well and nice use of percussion and majestically sung. Some impressive skills on display, enjoyed that immensely. Second song was great but I always forget the name. Wonderful rhythm, soft and fluid and creamy vox. And yo we get a solo well done sir ! Great job.

@SgtColon
Stefan – Wow, for your first live performance that was great. Steady rhythm, well accented and great vocals to boot. Headphone storage unit, was unique ! I’m sure there was a great deal of duck syndrome but on the surface you seemed well relaxed and in control. Good vibes to you.

TBC

3 Likes

@brianlarsen
Geraldine – What can I say, Mad Mental Rule OK. A couple of words first, yeah ok Tolstoy ! I got the impression you were reasonably happy with the new axe. I can only say the intro was too short but I loved the syrup ! Blues is certainly your colour darling. That was absolutely barking but I loved every minute. Too entertaining to critique. Fazer overload bonkers.

@John_in_Dot
John – wow what a surprise OM debut going for Blackbird and it sounded great. Nerves of steel by the looks of it and what a wonderful tone on your acoustic. Impressive intro to the online madness. At least you brought some sanity back playing after Brian. That was lovely, look forward to the next time.

@Mari63
Mari – Exquisite playing as always. So great to hear some JCM, boy its been a while. Loved the accents and pumping 8ths. Fantastic vocals as well, you often sell them short ! Love me some John Cougar, shame the plugged got pull.

@skeletor83
DavidS – Plenty of tips on set up will follow !! Great intro bio and fantastic support for Justin and the Community. Thank you. Sheeren or Zeppelin ? No brainer you chose right. Super debut with a knock out song which I felt you did well with especially the Plantesque vocals. Hope you enjoyed taking part.

@JakAngelescu
Jak – Huge kudos for playing Odyssey live. Wonderful fingerpicking and great tone from the guitar, beautifully played, sounds like you have a soft touch which adds to the tone quality. Holly singing again was great especially doing in front off a bunch of strangers. Really enjoyed the Raven would love to hear that recorded in a normal environment (non OM) but it came across well. Great melody and nice easy on the ear progression. You work well together, no surprise. Lost the feed to adi’s link during Head Above Water but it was going real well, another for AOVYP ? Need to catch up with Avril later albums, last in my digital collection was Goodbye Lullaby but she’s always been a bit hit and miss for me. But that sounded good. Great debut you two, pass on thanks to Holly again !

Cheers

Toby

2 Likes

Great run-through and review @TheMadman_tobyjenner , glad you found the space to enjoy the show :smiley: JCM has quite a few great tunes IMO, surprised we don’t hear more covers of his music. Thanks for the nice words on my cover :smiley::smiley:

2 Likes

Nice job @TheMadman_tobyjenner and thank you for the kind words. Glad you seem to have sorted it all out for now… crossed fingers all will be good next time OR maybe look for some hardware based solutions to eliminate some of the internal piping required in PC and reaper.

Ha, this is the One I’ve been contemplating for the next open mic.

1 Like

@sah22 Look forward to that, Scott. I can play the rhythm somewhat OK but trying to sing over the 16th note pattern is currently well beyond my play- and sing-grade. Can stumble through the singing, super slowed and just down strums. No stress, one day …

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Toby thanks for the show review. There is a little chorus on the guitar. If you have a hint and ask the question then it sounds like the level is about right. There’s also a little reverb and delay. Aim is to have just enough to add but not enough so it is obvious (not looking for fx on the acoustic to be ‘bonkers’). The sound is also a little different, I think, due to the different strings. Currently strung with Martin Retro Monel Nickel. A couple of weeks since the re-string and they have settled in ok, lost the initial slightly more metallic twang, sound OK. But I suspect I’m likely to return to phosphor bronze in future. But do have another different set to try when next I change strings.

(@Twin_Six Jonathan, thought you might be interested in the post re-string update shared with Toby here, hence @ mention)

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you for the kind words and review of my performance.
Plenty of things to work on for next time. (Mic levels, playing at the good bpm, etc)

1 Like

The chorus was most likely it, it actually gave a subtle vocal voicing, so worked well. :sunglasses:

I’ve been rewatching this morning while I make a slow start at work. Not going to comment on every performance, but I am super impressed at the progress we’re making collectively. Great first time efforts from some new faces as well.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner I knew that first song you did and I totally didn’t notice the mistake with the word order. It sounded really good to me, and I really liked your guitar tone :slight_smile: Thank you for the comments above. It’s funny that you mention the songs suiting my vocals… it actually took me about two months to find a way to reach all the notes in the second track. It was a real learning experience on different ways to use my voice. I still miss as often as I hit some of those notes.

@adi_mrok Great performance as usual. I didn’t notice at the time that you seemed to not expect most people to have heard 74/75 but let me tell you that song was pretty big in the UK in the 90s, reaching number 14. Actually, before looking that up I expected it to be much higher because I remember it well and it’s on my 90s spotify playlist.

That’s as far as I’ve got so far. Great work all.

2 Likes

Thanks Mike for nice comments, I assumed it was unknown only due to a fact it only had 20m views on Yt. Well next time I will do my homework better or pick a song most definitely will know :grinning: on a side note I watched your performance like 4 times already, to me it was fantastic simple as that. Can’t wait to see what you have to show on another one :grinning:

74/75 is a top tune and I remember it well from my yoof. You had me singing along Adi. You did a great job with it.

2 Likes

@DavidP as requested reminded of it myself today :slight_smile:

Hey everyone. I’m really sorry I didn’t make it for this :frowning: I won’t bore you with excuses…

I have it on now to watch as much as I can!

Jason - great intro and helpful for calming any nerves. Your performance was great - that song requires great pitching on those long notes and you nailed it! Guitar was solid and the overall sound was great.

DavidP - Man your vocals have improved so much since we first did a lesson, and top song choices that suit your voice! Rhythm solid and great energy! And the NY song sounded great too! :slight_smile: Just that last chord :slight_smile:

Rob - Nice strumming feel and and delivered with confidence! Tips would be maybe to learn to play the melody on the guitar, just to help you be sure where the vocal melody is. Probably help with the ‘phrasing’ and how long to stay on each chord! Very well done dude!

Toby - I hadn’t heard those songs for years, but great band :slight_smile: and well performed :slight_smile: Great vocals! My tip on been a while would be change the dynamics between sections a bit more - it’ll really help the overall performance. You used a similar strumming most of the way, and a verse or two that dropped right down (less strums) and then big into the chorus would work great!

OK, I’ll be back to continue listening later (33:24), need to prep new song lessons.

Great stuff y’all :slight_smile: really enjoying it :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and hear what you are saying. It did not go quite as planned so I was in panic/recovery mode throughout the set, especially as I could see the Vox channel clipping ! Something we can discuss soon.

Cheers

Toby