Open Mic 08: Recording + After-Show Chat

Hi Richard, I actually felt better with the finger picking than the strumming song, probably because that is how I started playing guitar the first time around when I was much younger before my 30 odd year guitar hiatus. Yes that is part of my lawn you could see, i am very fortunate to live in a fairly secluded environment in beautiful part of Scotland

I was part of the audience for the open mic and honestly guys everyone who performed blew my socks off, it was a fabulous night’s entertainment and I can’t wait for the next one!

5 Likes

Thanks Brian, I guess I would be hiding behind any curtains on an actual stage….

……one day :grinning:

Cheers Al, yeah I’m happy with the sound (as long as it is plugged in) :roll_eyes: now.

But just reliant on laptop camera at the moment, it’s ok until the light drops.

I think it helps at the moment though, knowing I’m not in HD on everyone’s screen :grinning:

I’m very good at lowering so the camera should be an easy fix. :smile:

Thank you so much for taking the time to watch and provide feedback Richard, it is a very kind thing to do.

1 Like

I can confirm that both demons and neighbours are thoroughly banished.
Since joy is contagious I’ve been told to do my best to flatten the curve.
At least until the next OM :grinning:

Everyone here but the Maus was very appreciative of the critique. Dankeschön

2 Likes

Hi performers,
Yes, what can I say after 170 posts, :flushed:…all good things have been said many times, of course I also enjoyed the video, and see the sometimes enormous progress…

So really only I can say “hopefully it will go better next time” (that’s the point of the practice we’re doing here, so no comment :joy:)…

Dear Brian ,
It’s really not necessary to threaten… :grimacing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3s3oFddWI0
I thought this was good for you :joy:

oke, one more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jGchIN8ZU
:see_no_evil:

Greetings to you all,
Rogier

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to watch Rogier. Like Adi, it blows me away that people will take the time out sit down with the recordings after the shows. Glad you enjoyed it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha, I have a little black book (in my head) with a list of ‘acquaintances’ that may well end up surprise visits if I ever happen to be in their part of the world.
You should never be too surprised to hear the response “Larsen ante portas!” when you answer your doorbell
Why am I reminded of William Shatner when I listen to those Arnie clips? :thinking: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

:joy: :joy:
:teapot:

they are both unbelievably bad (alien …buitenaards(nl) ) at what they did and that
William still ?.. :grimacing:

1 Like

I’ve just finished watching the show and - Wow how good you all were!
It’s also really good to put faces to names. I’m keen to join in though maybe as an audience member first.
Well done everyone.

1 Like

Just had look at your Open Mic’s, terrific talent there. What mic’s are you guys using, and is it separate mics for guitar and vocals?

2 Likes

Hi Ian, thanks for watching the video it is always appreciated by performers! All depends on a performer, some of us have similar setups but most have different approach, I suggest picking ones you like and @mentioning people like these so they can answer your questions on setup :wink:

1 Like

Ian

As Adi says many different set ups. But common approaches would be

Singer and Acoustic and single mic - condenser
Singer and Acoustic two mics - 2 dynamic or 2 condensers

I normally play electric and started with a condenser for singing but as they are sensitive it picked up a lot of room noise and the “acoustic” sound of the electric. So I switched to dynamic.

Other set ups - singer and guitar using webcam only or phone.
It can be that simple but for sure your mileage will vary !!

Why not sit in on Open Mic 11 and see for your self. You can sign up for the audience here !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Ian, in my case I use a Scarlett 2i2 studio kit that I was very lucky to receive as a present. I use the condenser that came in the kit, and had to spend some time getting the position right to get a good sound balance. Now I know what my set-up is, I can put it together in about 5 minutes though!

(I think a few others use the Scarlett set-up in OMs too)

I also perform dry (no effects) for both vocal and acoustic.

2 Likes

@MadModMcd

Ian, I use an AKG D5 dynamic mic for my vocals. The mic and the guitar are plugged into a TC Helikon Play Acoustic pedal to add some effects, reverb, delay, but subtle. Output from the Play Acoustic into a Scarlett 2i2. That could provide the audio for Zoom directly but I choose to use OBS, largely because it is how I make home recordings. That is not really needed for the OMs.

Love your Community user name … has a decidedly Black Adder echo to me :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks David. Regards the user name, unfortunately I don’t have a cunning plan! :laughing:
Thanks for the info regarding mics, etc. I’m toying with the idea of trying to do a bit of home recording but haven’t a clue where to start!

Thanks for the info Iain :+1:

@MadModMcd

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ian, I suggest start a topic in #gear-tools-talk:hardware-software-recroding and share some context covering the instruments you play, if you are a singer, the type of record eg ‘live’ play and sing recorded in a single take or recordings over a downloaded backing track, original multi-instrumental songs, what computer gear you have eg PC/LT/Tablet and operating systems. That should be enough to get a conversation started to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

I’ll mibby have a stab at that next week David, thanks.

1 Like