Open Mic 12: Recording + After-Show Chat

@adi_mrok
Excellent show review, Adrian, appreciate you taking the time to watch and write up all the comments.

This one was finger-style with a trickier picking pattern than my usual T M T I plus that switch into pumping 8s … switch in is no problem but struggled to make the switch back into the picking pattern (probably the most challenging part of the whole thing).

But just being better than lst time is what floats my boat.

Thanks again for the encouragement and taking care of the recording; much appreciated.

2 Likes

Thanks Adi, no backing track though, I’m going to do a rundown of my setup. A couple of folk have asked now….

1 Like

Wow really? It sounded like there is a little keyboard in the background running, I am even more impressed now! :dizzy_face:

Edit. Just had a relisten, that must be some really fancy posh reverb going on there, fabolous!

1 Like

Watch this space :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’m going to do a run through of the other performances first though, it’s hard work keeping track, commenting and performing all in one on the night.

2 Likes

Bit of chorus and reverb for sure I reckon but I am sure Mr G will elaborate. Sounded darn good whatever it was !
:sunglasses:

Event recording and chat now added to the starting post of this Topic.

Thanks Adrian!!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind comments and all the work getting things posted up!.. Rod

1 Like

I am sorry I didn’t get home early enough to watch this, so really looking forward to watching the video. I hope everyone had a great night.

1 Like

@jkahn second time MCing and working the mic like an old pro.
I meant to mention in the chat that it’s fab when the guy doing the soundcheck is
IT literate and able to give a bit of guidance when there’s a hiccup.
You rock! :metal:

@DavidP welcome back. Very comfortable picking & strumming and not a note out of tune. I’ve mentioned it before, but I do enjoy that you don’t slavishly follow original melodies. Always sounds good. Loved that you included the Halargian bit and cool outro picking :sunglasses:

@jestersea Woah Jesse… I’m hanging on alright! That is one of my favourite S&G tunes.
We’re going to have to call you Mr. Dynamo!
A pity about the intermittent freeze, but didn’t detract from the performance. Bravo!

@Rumil . Who’s becoming our resident metalhead then? Offspring were one of the few ‘new’ punk bands I listened to a lot. The only thing that was better than your stonking sound and flashy fretboard work was your fabulous rocking out.
I guess being able to count in Spanish makes this easy for you, eh? :rofl:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Glad you stuck with learning this song. Persistence is key! I fail to see how this would be improved by drums, but will no doubt be proved wrong in the diaries… Oh yeah, right choice on the reverb. Encore! :smiley:

@Liaty Highlight of the night for me. First year in college after moving to Ireland. Listening on the B&O stereo in a dark sitting room with a turf fire. The best of the 3 Power of Loves that year in the charts, eh?
(I’m guessing delay, pitch-shifter and much reverb? :laughing:)

@twistor59 Well that’s a genre jump from my beloved Floyd, but you’re just showing off, aren’t you? :laughing: I’m no blues boy, but man, I’d love to be able to do that. Superb!

@Notter Sorry I missed this on the night. (Chris and I had a couple of bits to iron out). No comment on the band, but I enjoyed that. Lovely bridge. You have a very natural way in front of the camera. Well played, Sensitive vocals. Love the sound of that Faith guitar. Sucking up to the teacher by wearing his clobber is a step too far :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@eric.lennon Glad you settled on this one in the end. Superb choice and so well played. Your OM experience just shine through. Cheers for setting everybody in a soulful/sad mood before we came on. :smiley:

@brianlarsen Well, simply sublime! Is there no end to this chap’s talent? As usual, let down by his incompetent sidekick, Chris, no matter what strings he tries to pull :roll_eyes: :rofl:
One of these days I’ll stop letting others share my limelight.
Seriously, I’m amazed you guys still let me show up and do the same old, same old… but thanks :wink:

cont…

4 Likes

cont. …

@Malz Well that brought the level right back to where it was before the ‘blip’. Don’t know the song, but how well performed. Lovely bit ofpicking, stumming and soulful vocals on top. Bravo!

@Jenny, Wow, what a debut. My hometown band! That was seriously impressive. What confidence and skills to match. Props to hubby on skins :smiley:

@dobleA Arriba las manos! (well that’s most of my Spanish :laughing:). I love it when folk from our broad community share songs from their own cultures. And what a bonus when it’s performed with such panache as this. Google translate: fire up your engines! Ole!

@eric.lennon Glad you settled on this one in the end. Superb choice and so well played. Your OM experience just shine through. Cheers for setting everybody in a soulful/sad mood before we came on. :smiley:

@Jenny, Wow, what a debut. My hometown band! That was seriously impressive. What confidence and skills to match! Props to hubby on skins :smiley:

@Rod58 Red-Jacket-Hot-Rod back in the booth! No training wheels at all. One man, one guitar, one big positive song.
I am enthused! Thank you. :innocent: :smiley:

@sah22 Well I already plumped for something else as my musical highlight, so can’t double-dip :slightly_frowning_face: For those of you who have not (yet) been blessed by the opportunity of making music with family or friends, it doesn’t get much better than this.
Rock steady rhythm on bass and cool lead/slide guitar by the boys. Ska-hat showman closing the show in style.
Thank you for sharing, Scott & family. :smiley:

And thank you all for participating, organising, performing or as part of the audience (live or later)
Onwards and… upwards? :rofl:

2 Likes

Natch :wink:

1 Like

Thank you sir! I think your commentary on @brianlarsen was spot on🔥…Rod

2 Likes

Thanks for the show of appreciation @brianlarsen ! First and foremost I hope everything went well with your op yesterday :crossed_fingers:.

I’ll forgive the ironing, whatever (see what I did there!) needed it was well worth it from the performance you gave us. I’m certainly feeling more comfortable in front of the camera with each one and glad it’s coming over that way.

Careful with the Oasis comments, I’ll be starting to think of this as a project to convert you over time if you’re not careful :wink::joy:. As for the clobber, well the man deserves a cold one for his efforts so throwing some beer tokens his way only seems right!

All the best :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you sir. Hope to do better next time, but probably wont because i keep pushing myself

2 Likes

Thanks Adi. Missed you this time.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m a little late. That was a great show. All the performers did awesome and it sounded great.
Bravo :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks Brian, yeah, have always enjoyed this song. It cuts deep.

1 Like

@davidp

David, great to see you back. Love this tune, you make it your own, great rendition. Lovely bass coming through from acoustic too.

@jestersea

Jesse, great finger work and dynamics.

Really enjoyed the performance, the singing was good too :slightly_smiling_face:

@Rumil
Edgar, such fun, well done!

You got the moves too :man_dancing:

Sweet tone, loved it

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Toby, again suits you to the ground, nice rhythm and jam.

Could listen all night.

Liaty

… breakdown of setup to follow…

@twistor59

Phil, what a cracking debut!

Your timing is so sweet.

Call and reply in your motif, awesome :sunglasses:

@notter

Mark, rock on our kid :smiley:

Nice confidence in the voice, makes a huge difference :+1:

Your attack on the strumming is true to form, those drone strings are ringing out well.

@eric.Lennon

Eric, sung from the heart.

What a clean performance, lovely.

@brianlarsen

Brian and Chris, I think I like this serious side. So well done.

Loved it gents, perfect contrast of deep vocals and violin/fiddle.

@malz

Mal, is that another one in Drop D? Sounds great. Very well sung.

1 Like

@jenndye429

Jennifer and Dan, amazing, straight in with rhythm, lead and singing! That’s the way to debut :guitar:

Well done for not letting the nerves get the better of you.

@dobleA

Andrés, wonderful finger picking. Lovely to get a taste of Spanish into the night.

You looked so composed, brilliant job :slightly_smiling_face:

@rod58

Rod unplugged, I love it :heart_eyes:

Another excellent all round performance. Technically good as well as presence and crowd engagement. Top notch.

@sah22

Scott, James and Issac, well this is great to see. What a great way to share some time with the boys, a truly heartwarming experience.

Put on a great show too. Well played and sung.

… then just casually drop in the slide :star_struck:

@jkahn

Have you been practicing in the mirror? You’re a natural, thanks again.

4 Likes

Thank you @liaty, we had fun and i enjoyed the practice sessions. The open mic was a good excuse to make them jam with me. First time performing for the oldest and second time for me and and Isaac.

1 Like