Open Mic 14: Recording & After-Show Chat

It was an excellent show, with a great variety of songs and performances. I echo what others have said, if you are considering stepping up, just do it, you will never truly be ready, you will have nerves, all the symptoms people mention, shaking and hands not knowing what to do… BUT the audience will love it, hopefully at the end of the day you will embrace the positive aspect, and you will have performed live for the first time, subsequent times will be less scary, but scary all the same. It is hard not to compare yourself to others, in terms of time played or ability, but everyone else will see your performance as a step forward. Great job to all the performers and organizers, it was a truly fun and enjoyable afternoon, with many highlights, in fact there were highlights in every performance.

9 Likes

I really liked you song. What song did you sing so I can add it to my playlist?

1 Like

Congratulations to all performers, you all did well and hope to see you all again, thank you. Thanks also to everyone who organised the event, Good job everyone concerned, especially our host Mark.

5 Likes

Thanks for those links, David.

To continue to dig deep you may want to get hold of some of the mooks by Elijah Wald, like Escape From the Delta, How the Beatles killed rock n roll.

1 Like

Glad you held in there Donna you were wonderful ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You were amazing Donna! So glad you decided to play! Absolutely gorgeous vocals and playing! Really well done! :clap: :star_struck:

3 Likes

Wow what a fantastic show, up there as one of the best. Some really great performances and such a wide range of skills and genres. A really special night.

Big thanks to all the performers, would have been great to have a full house player wise but we got close on this one. And the audience figures were, to quote Lemmy (Going to Brazil) MEGA !!! These shows would not be the same without. You add the pressure but you bring the joy. So great to scan the Gallery and see everyone totally absorbed and involved. Huge Thx.

Only just caught up on the Zoom Chat but wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. Really enjoyed “tweaking” this classic and working in some “disturbance” but still a long way off Mr Draiman’s vocals. Payback is your supportive comments :+1:

OM XV Call For Interest is in the making and should be on the streets in the next 36 hours.
Keep em peeled.

And a final word to both Audience and Performers.

Yourock

9 Likes

What a superb show it was last night. The quality is just top drawer.

Well done @Notter Mark on your debut at hosting, cracking stuff. Also well done to our 3 debutants, what a way it was to make an entrance.

And as always a big thank you to @adi_mrok @DavidP and @TheMadman_tobyjenner for bringing it all together.

6 Likes

I hope that day comes too Michael, I’m sure you would not regret it :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Stefan, appreciate the appreciation of those that make this happen. But really all I did this time round was showup to perform and applaud. It was all Toby, Mark, and Adrian.

In the early days, the condition for hosting the event was to have one of the Community Mods present to ensure the spirit of JustinGuitar was maintained. Probably no longer absolutely necessary, but most you can say in addition about me is that I also attend (with Richard) with my Mod hat on.

8 Likes

Well done to all the performers, particularly the debutants, very well done. I missed the start but will catch up once posted. Looking forward to the next one.:guitar::ok_hand:

6 Likes

Well I’m afraid I missed the whole thing. I logged in and out several times throughout the evening but couldn’t get any sound. I could see the video. I don’t seem to be able to change the settings unless logged into the meeting and then I was concerned that messing about with things might in some way interfere with others performances by creating feedback echoes or whatever.
I’m looking forward to catching up by watching the recording.

6 Likes

Good shout Gordon :pray:

Bloody frustrating though :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I actually already own both of those and have listened to Wald’s interview about them on the Let It Roll podcast. I learned about them initially from Andrew Hickey’s podcast “A History of Rock on 500” songs, whose first episode is on Charlie Christian & does a lot to get into blues and jazz and correct The Rolling Stones version of Blues history. Wald also has an Oxford Short Introduction on the Blues that’s like 70 pages if people are curious but don’t want to read his bigger book. Justin also has a blog post about blues readings. From that I picked up A History of the Blues by Francis Davis. Finally, for Lonnie, there is a biography by Dean Alger called The Original Guitar Hero and Jas Obrecht has a chapter on Lonnie in his book Early Blues: The First Stars of Blues guitar. Jas is a great writer.

Just sat through the whole show again now the video has been published and caught up on the bits I missed last night.

Absolutely stunning show and great performances all round. Too many great songs to pick out individuals but I’d like to thank Serhat @elevatortrim Donna @DonnatheDead and Jeff @nzmetal for making their Open Mic debuts, you guys rocked. Its the new blood coming into the shows that keeps the interest going and encourages others to do the same. And hey it keeps us old hands on our toes. Super job all three of you, well done.

Big big thanks to everyone in the audience, it would never be the same without you.
Again a huge dollop of praise to Mark on his hosting debut, keeping the show moving and making sure we all behaved :rofl:

8 Likes

Thanks Toby! :smiley:
I did the same and watched back through the whole thing as well so I could take it all in without the stress of the pending performance hanging over me! :sweat_smile: Great to just absorb everyone’s amazing talent, all superb performances and so much variety on show, blown away! :clap::star_struck:
Also really enjoyed having the opportunity to watch yours back, Toby, the arrangement you put together was so great and shifting to those heavy, distorted tones for certain passages was killer! Vocals were brilliant and fitted perfectly into the mix. Despite what you mentioned about a couple of wrong strings hit, it wasn’t obvious to me and in no way diminished the performance in my eyes. Really top shelf stuff! :metal:

4 Likes

I did the same earlier @TheMadman_tobyjenner and had a rewatch of the whole show, just a terrific set of performers and performances, acoustic, pop, rock, metal, folk, solos, loopers and on and on…! I won’t do a comment on each one again as being in the privileged position I was in I can say my reactions are all on the record!

Appreciate all the comments on the hosting but genuinely no need. It honestly was an honour and a pleasure, i will happily do the same again any time.

On to the next one! Hopefully some more debuts are bubbling up :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Err… I may just be getting old, but I can’t find the video link :face_with_monocle:
There’s a link to the chat in the top post but until I can put my hand into His side, I refuse to believe!

1 Like

David can you post this in AOVYP as its not OM related, thx

1 Like

Could you see them with the cataracts ?

Oops think our mods miss the transfer from the Performer DM :scream:
@Richard_close2u @DavidP anyone around to do the necessary please, pretty please.
:sunglasses: