Open Mic 16: Recording + After-Show Chat

Thank you so much Jeff!

1 Like

:rofl: Thanks Jeff! Love Steel Panther! A Hetfield/Panther collab would be something I’d love to see! :wink: :joy:
On a related note, I just saw a post pop up on my YouTube feed that Steel Panther are doing America’s Got Talent???! :exploding_head: I just watched their audition in front of judges (link below) and cracked up! :rofl: Anyone who knows anything about Steel Panther will realise how crazy (but awesome! :metal:) this is! There wouldn’t be much of their back catelogue that they could get past the censors on that show?! :sweat_smile: If they win (or even get a ways along the competition) it be hilarious! :laughing:
AGT’s Rock Revolution: Steel Panther Owns The Stage with “Eyes of A Panther” | Auditions | AGT 2023

2 Likes

I only had the chance to see parts of the video, so I had at least a look at everyones performance and I put my hat off. All of you did a great job, a great range of songs and so much individual effort was shown. Congrats to all the participants, I’m impressed! The performances get better from one OM to the next! I hope to be able to see all performances in full length soon. Thanks to all who paticipate to make this happen and giving us, who have missed the show, the chance to see at least the video. Very appreciated!

4 Likes

Watched the recording yesterday as I was bound to bed due to a light cold. :face_with_thermometer:

It really brightend my day - so much respect for all of you involved. Bravo! You all did great and even having the guts taking part in such an event is impressive and deserves lots of applaus. Bravo, ladies and gentlemen. :smiley:

It was great to see such a variety of genres, interprets and also instrument - wow! You all can be very proud of yourselves. :+1:

Thanks you shared the vid for all those who missed or couldn’t join! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sadly missed the livestream but I’m halfway through the recording now so thought I’d post some comments before continuing. I haven’t read any of the thread above - yet! as I wanted to give my own observations without being influenced :joy:

@eric.lennon What a great start to the show. There’s lovely tone and dynamics to your playing and you sung a beautiful song with such feeling. Always a pleasure to watch you play Eric and you did a great job as MC :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@DavidP I know you mentioned that you picked a simple song with only four chords but… when it’s played really well, and for me this was, it doesn’t matter how simple or complicated a piece it is. It was beautifully melodic, your playing was terrific and combined with a great vocal it pulled me in – loved the muted hits :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@LievenDV Wow this was awesome! The playing, vocal and performance all top notch! You really know how to sell a song - that’s why audiences will happily pay to see you perform ! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@Elixir1253 Take a bow Colin that was a great debut. Beautiful song! Lovely fingerpicking and the sound coming from your guitar was completely gorgeous. Cold what cold? Your singing was great. :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@elevatortrim Bravo Serhat! Starting with bass switching to guitar with some great lead playing and singing! then just as I was absorbing the fact that you switched guitars during a live performance, you pulled out a recorder as cool as a cucumber and added another layer – well done it was highly entertaining! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@Malz I’ve come to expect a sterling performance from you and Lara, and you never disappoint, great song choice, great playing and fantastic vocals. It’s always wonderful to see you having so much fun I thoroughly enjoy your performances! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@twistor59 That was knockout! You make it look like a stroll in the park – loved it and could happily have listened to an extended version! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@liaty I never know what to expect from you as your choice of repertoire is so diverse, but I always know it’s going to be good, this was no exception - fantastic all round performance from start to finish – a real showman! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@alexisduprey Rock on Alexis, you mentioned being nervous – I’d never have known. Fantastic debut! you showed serious skill I loved the solo. It was great to see you play live and I sincerely hope you’ll do so again! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@TheCluelessLuthier This popped up on my YouTube feed yesterday, so I’ve now had the pleasure of watching it twice, you’re so in sync with each other and I love the hat theme you’ve got going on. You pick great songs and always give a hugely entertaining performance; I loved the fade out at the end. I’ve always got a huge grin on my face when you perform – I wonder what I’ll do if you ever play something sad :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

7 Likes

Thanks Nancy, I don’t think Jen would let me play anything sad for OM. :wink: I will have to save those for AVOYP.

1 Like

Hi Nancy, thank you for your kind words, we aim to please and we are glad you enjoyed our performance. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks again all for the kind words <3

1 Like

@philsmith What a great acoustic version of that song I prefer it to the pop version, great playing and singing Phil – always a treat to see you play. :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@skeletor83 (aka the Justin Evangelist), what a beautiful ballad, nicely played, and sung with real passion, great dynamics too, it really came across how much you love this song and that made me love it too. :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@Jenndye429 Another great song choice from you both with Jen taking over the vocals again, great energy, skilful playing and delivered with just the right amount of attitude - a polished performance :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@rodreilly I haven’t heard this song in years it was great to hear you perform it, terrific playing and strong vocals – the lyrics are sweet and funny and you got it just right. :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@think2100 A beautiful song performed with feeling and sung with tenderness, wonderful fingerstyle playing it made me cry (in a good way) :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@jkahn You completely owned this song, fantastic performance - I loved the dynamic contrast between the finger picking and strumming sections and I really like the tonal quality of your voice, it’s unique, and unique is an asset :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@nzmetal The return of the mullet :rofl: A tremendous amount of stamina needed to play this song and you nailed it, flying fingers, tempo changes and that fab Sprechgesang vocal, I was mesmerised by the whole performance. :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

@TheMadman_tobyjenner What a way to close the show it left me wanting more – beautiful guitar tone and I was blown away by that vocal, the power, the dynamic range, the expressiveness – gimme more please! :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

Another great show folks and thanks to everyone who works behind the scenes to make these open mics possible. I’m now heading to the online store to buy my audience t-shirt for the next one, can’t wait!

5 Likes

Thank you for your kind words @Nancy15, and for writing the mini reviews, I know how much time it takes to review everyone’s performances.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments Nancy, Its one of those classic Skynyrd songs that you can throw yourself into. A simpler version than I had planned to play but was happy with the result !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Nancy , thanks for the supportive feedback much appreciated

1 Like

Thanks Nancy! Really appreciate your kind words :hugs:

:rofl: !! Yep, I suspect it reappear again from time to time :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you so much Nancy! We had a lot of fun with the song :guitar:

2 Likes

How do u get hooked up with these shows?

@Geezguit

1 Like

Mark,
Here is the call for interest for the next one. The details are in the first post of the thread.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for taking the time to watch, especially @Jeff and @Nancy15 for writing individual reviews and comments I haven’t watched the show back yet, but I will maybe tomorrow. It feels like it was longer ago than a week. I am looking forward to the next one.

3 Likes

@Geezguit

Mark I would strongly recommend reading in full the link that @Richard_close2u posted above. There is no limitation or requirements for those wishing to join the audience but there is a criteria to be met for those wanting to performer. Applications are available for the next show via the link @philsmith posted. Again worth reading in full, as it makes my life easier when the applications hit my doorstep, Hopefully see you at a future show !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you for these lovely comments <3

1 Like