Open Mic Tech Talk (Advanced) Connecting DAW to OBS to send audio / video to Zoom Using Reaper ReaStream

Easily done. I just had a moment when checking the audio on my “audience” OBS scene and wondered why the mic was dead. Switching on the PlayAcoustic which has the vox fx made a big difference. Doh ! :smile:

Well, I’m Just at the point of being completely frustrated. Here’s where I’m at:

Audio Interface & webcam directly into Zoom, fine no problem (assuming that being able to record both mic and guitar in a 1-man zoom meeting means that it would also work in, for example an OM)

Audio Interface Directly into OBS, fine no problems, can apply VST effects although can only hear them on recordings. Is there a way to monitor the audio output rather than your input?

Reaper into OBS using ReaRoute, no problem (again only able to monitor the input, can’t tell what any effects actually sound like until replaying the recording)

OBS into Zoom, silent movies. I’ve followed the instructions in this thread and the other one, i.e both single and double virtual audio cables and I simply cannot get sound from OBS to Zoom, or vice-versa!

All you guys who’ve got it working, I reckon there’s some crucial setting that you’ve changed (probably nothing that on the face of it would have any effect on audio) and haven’t mentioned because it seemed so irrelevant. Where am I going wrong?

Edit: well it may be something to do with the fact that my AI is a £25 Chinese Focusrite knockoff, but I’d still appreciate any software tweaks I can try before buying a proper one!

:+1:

Well take the rest one at a time.

On the audio input in OBS Advanced Audio settings is the “device” set to Monitor and Output ?

1 Like

Thanks Toby that solves that one :grin: although disappointingly there’s significant lag with it. Rather than more hours of tinkering, I forsee using that setting for setting up and getting the sound right, then reverting to input monitoring for the actual performance.

Edit: I have to restart my system to revert to input monitoring, don’t know if that’s a peculiarity of OBS or just my computer!

Ian

I’ll have a think about the others but this may actually solve the Reaper-OBS one as well,
Glad you have 2 ways working now !

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby, I’ve been messing with various settings and have achieved a recording of my voice, my guitar, and my voice as a zoom participant (using my phone to join a 1 man meeting…making it still a 1 man meeting :rofl: ) Unfortunately the various sounds keep dropping out, I think possibly to do with the gain settings on the AI. I’ll experiment more tomorrow, and if I manage a decent recording OBS > Zoom, I’ll start work on Reaper >OBS > Zoom!

BTW there was something that you referred to, but didn’t make an explicit instruction because it’s so obvious (only with hindsight in my case) - it’s to restart the computer after every time you change a setting!

Maybe not always necessary but sometime worth doing if something is not working. I was having lots of issues with ASIO seeming to lock the soundcard, stopping other apps from using my AI. That was after ensuring the playback and recording setting did not have it enabled for exclusive use. The only way out of that was to reboot, although periodically removing the AI from the computer and reintroducing it worked but not consistently.

1 Like

It’s not generally required to restart your computer after every setting.

OBS does a thing sometimes where it tries to prevent a feedback loop and quietly auto-mutes monitoring. If your working setup goes quiet again, it might be that.

On latency - I found that if you do webcam through OBS, instead of direct to zoom, the cam is in sync with audio. If you’re getting audio latency, look at lowering your buffer size as low as possible without causing break ups in the audio.

On audio dropouts - check each stage in turn.

Any dropouts when recording in DAW? Check gain and inputs. No dropouts? It’s not those.

Any dropouts in recording in OBS (unlikely if above is ok)? It’s OBS config.

Dropouts in zoom? Check audio settings, make sure original sound is on - in settings AND that meeting, echo cancellation off.

2 Likes

That was it, thanks

Edit: Zoom appears to reset this when you start a meeting, so you have to turn original sound on every time

1 Like

Glad it sorted it!

Yep, original sound is per meeting.

1 Like

Worth also noting that each time zoom updates it likes to change mic settings too. Caught me out couple of times

1 Like

A little refresher on this one - I finally managed to get OBS nicely talking to Zoom without the delays, yey! So pretty much post 1 had 99.9% of setup I needed to make it work, one thing that was missing from it was to pick a default mic for Reastream filter (I chose in built windows one) and then go to windows sound control panel and turning knob down to 2/100 so it doesn’t pick up anything. Worked like a charm!

1 Like

Oops !

I need to check out the Reaper/OBS/Zoom config again, as not used it for a while and also found using Rearoute a lot easier than Reastream. There is no mic stetting required or faffing around with Windows sound settings. Looks like there could be another OM Tech update on the cards !

Glad you sorted it.

1 Like

I didn’t have much hair before but I’ve even less now. I’ve lost so much guitar time trying to get this to work and I’m at a loss.

What I’m trying to do is,

1. Have my Katana going into my PC to record my guitar.
  2. Have a backing track playing from my PC so I can record my playing.
  3. Have Reaper going into OBS so that I can record a video of said playing.

I have followed the instructions in the video you posted Toby and I can get Reaper to talk to OBS, so I can hear my guitar but when I drop a backing track into Reaper, the backing plays but with no sound.

I’ve installed ASIO4All and also OBS.Asio.3.1.1 so that I could setup a new ASIO capture.

I think that’s everything. Is what I’m trying to do impossible? I know I can record an MP3 in Reaper but I wanted to do the video as well.

HELP! I’m at such a loss.

P.S. Not bothered about getting this to work with Zoom, at the moment.

I might be stating the obvious so sorry but for clarity.

The BT needs to be added to Reaper as a separate track. Track monitoring should be enabled (but not record),

You need a minimum of two tracks (if no vox). One for GTR one for the BT. Just as you would for a multi track project, say with added Bass and Drum tracks.

Rearoute needs to be added to the Master track. As the Master will pick up the individual project tracks,

If you can set up these two tracks, playing BT while recording GTR and the resulting output from Reaper plays both tracks, Rearoute will send it to OBS.

It sounds more like a routing issue in Reaper, as it sounds like the Master is not picking up the BT. Or Rearoute is only on the GTR track

I’ve not done this for a while but if you think it will help I can fire up Reaper and take a screenshot ?

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Stefan

Just loaded up an old project that was set up for OBS. Obviously not recording the GTR track but it is there and available and worked at the time. There are multiple instrument BTs, which would equate to you using just one.

As you can see Rearoute has been added to the Master.

The corresponding OBS shot using the Asio Input Capture can be seen in the audio Mixer up in the yellow (but was merrily bouncing up and down).

Properties of the Asio Input channel in OBS

1 Like

OOOps thought I’d better actually check the sound was being heard in OBS despite the mixer saying it was. Just did a quick 20 sec OBS recording and all the tracks were on the video. So yep it still works. Phew ! :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you for all that Toby I appreciate you doing all that. :sunglasses:

I had done everything you have said in your posts apart from turning monitoring on on my backing track, so I’ll give it a go later and let you know how I get on. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Thank you again Toby. At last it has worked. You da man! :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like
1 Like