Open Mic Tech Talk (Advanced) Connecting DAW to OBS to send audio / video to Zoom Using Reaper ReaStream

Thank %$#£ for that. :joy: You lost me at DAW. :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers Toby. I’ll go through the other article. :slight_smile:

Toby I do think we somehow need to highlight that this is for “advanced sharing” at the OM I can’t believe 95% of the people attending the OM will go anywhere near this for setup and I think given the number of new people attending this is the sort of thing that would put them off. My setup for what I believe is good quality doesn’t use any of this.

For the most basic performance all people need is to be able to use Zoom with a camera of some sort. They can even use their phone if they want.

2 Likes

The key thing is original sound enabled really, you don’t want noise cancellation or anything as such especially while using phone only.

1 Like

Jason

I’ll add a link to the Zoom connection blurb in the OM thread, to make it clearer for folks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Correct @adi_mrok I seem to remember a very basic “zoom setup” thread we had we highlighted the key things to turn on or off… Was it you who put it together Adi? I seem to remember it was but may be wrong.

1 Like

This

NOTE - CALL FOR INTEREST THREAD HAS BEEN UPDATED

1 Like

Title of this post now updated also. For Advanced Users

Open Mic Tech Talk - For Advanced Users : How to connect your DAW to OBS and send audio and video to Zoom

2 Likes

That was Ivan I believe as Toby posted below :slight_smile:

Yes that it. It was Ivan who put it together no adi.

All sorted out now. :sunglasses:

1 Like

UPDATE - As Status Quo once famously asked “Is There A Better Way ?”

OK this may be of interest to some users but after a week, of snap crackle and pop, playing in a cavern and then finding one of my webcam mics was picking up my vox and guitar and muddying video recordings in Zoom, I have found a more elegant way of connecting Reaper to OBS. So Yes that was the issue at OM5 not my studio mic after all :rage:

This does not involve Reastream and therefore does not piggy back audio via the backdoor using an unused Webcam mic to capture audio ! This is a direct route from Reaper to OBS.
Using ReaRoute and works a treat.

This guy explains it far better than I ever could but it follows on from @Majik Keith’s piece on using OBS-ASIO but this time its connecting Reaper and OBS. Connectivity from OBS to Zoom remains the same.

So two weeks after getting a good Open Mic set up recorded in OBS via Reaper and subsequently finding it all went pear shaped when it got to Zoom, at 22:45 yesterday evening I finally fixed the issues, with this method. Yehhaaa !! :metal:

The only down side is not being able to record Zoom in OBS. Not something I planned to do but possible using a pair of virtual cables to route audio and video back and forth between OBS and Zoom. Using this method and both cables resulted in a huge satellite delay, making my “set” unplayable. Reverting to the single virtual cable, described in my original guide resolved that issue and I was able to record in both Reaper and Zoom simultaneously and by midnight was a much happier bunny. :rabbit: :rabbit2:

I hasten to add, this is an advanced method delivering audio and video to Zoom and is NOT mandatory for our Open Mic set ups, which should be done following this guide

Zoom - The Easy Way

The method described in the guide here, allows you to effectively mix and master your audio in readiness for a “show” and is just a tad more complicated than propping your mobile on the table in front of you. That works just as well and you sleep better.

As usual any questions, I’ll do my best to answer.

Cheers

Toby (anything for a quiet life) The Madman !
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Vibes again from me Toby for that guide, you put some really hard work into writing this up and without it instead of 2 hours yesterday scratching my head it would be 2 lifetimes before I got it sorted out! :joy:

I would suggest in your spare time editing Reaper to OBS section in order to update it with stuff from your latest comment in this thread. I mislooked it and was trying to figure out the original way but when I couldn’t get through it that’s only when I started scrolling :no_mouth: that’s on me but I am sure there will be more lost souls like mine in the future :smile:

I managed to get it working overall, what annoys me is that I need to significantly tune down my monitoring via Scarlett as my ears are quite tender to such a volume. And when I record in Zoom the sound is a lot more quiet (but on appropriate level after setting up ASIO AID to +10dB.

Many thanks again Toby, it takes a true Madman to get through it only using google :smiling_imp:

Edit. One thing to add is that whenever I dial in to Zoom the sound from Reaper and OBS is not sounding out instantly. It took me a few seconds of playing until it kicked in God knows why. Probably best if I log in earlier before the event and just leave it working so it settles down

Adi

I’ll make a note to do that but glad you got it sorted. I am not sure why you are getting a significant delay but the last time I tried Reaper-OBS-Zoom I ended up with really bad audio/video sync on the Zoom recording. So much so, at the last OM I dialled the audio direct to Zoom and did not use Reaper at all. Just took the video from OBS. I’ll review the process this week, while I work out my options for OM8. The Reastream method still works but the Rearoute is easier but could have caused the sync issues. If I get a chance I’ll try and get an update/amendment posted by the weekend.

Cheers

Toby
:thinking:

1 Like

If I get a chance I will try to capture the moment when video is finidng it’s audio so to speak. Since you mentioned that audio is delayed to video feed I think I will do a test and connect with my brother over Zoom to see if he is seeing and hearing everything okay. Thanks for the tip

Hi all. I was really impressed by people’s ability to route guitar, mic and effects into Zoom at the OM last night so I have spent a few hours today trying to do it. Unfortunately, no success yet. I’ve read through the above thread (though I certainly haven’t absorbed it all) and followed some Youtube / forum guides. So far, no success and I was hoping somebody could help/point me in the right direction?

I am using (i) guitar and mic into Scarlett 2i2 (i.e. guitar input 1; mic input 2); (ii) connected via USB hub to MacBook M1; (iii) using GarageBand as my DAW of choice (I’d much prefer to stay with GB if possible but if I have to jump to Reaper I could); and (iv) various plug-ins in GB (e.g. NeuralDSP’s Plini Archetype for guitar).

I have downloaded OBS and that is picking up signal from the Scarlett. My issue is that I can’t seem to (i) get the effects from GarageBand (i.e. OBS seems to be using direct signal); and (ii) I can’t seem to separate the guitar input and the mic input.

I saw a Youtube tutorial (based on Logic Pro: HOW TO: Setup OBS on Mac to Capture Voice, Guitar, DAW, Camera & Screen - YouTube ) that suggests using Blackhole as a virtual audio driver. I have downloaded that and followed instructions as best I could but still no joy. Either the tutorial (or me) is missing a few steps I think.

It may that this isn’t possible with GarageBand because it doesn’t (I think) have the master track that Toby mentions in Reaper?

If anyone could provide some support I’d be really grateful but no problem if not - I know it’s kind of a big ask.

All the best,

Martin

Martin

Not being a Mac or GB user I can’t give specific suggestions, although I suspect someone will.
If OBS is getting audio from the Scarlett that suggests a routing issue somewhere. The 2i2 needs to be set up in GB as you would do for normal recording. The GB audio then needs to be passed to OBS. In my post Feb 16 I showed how to use ReaRoute as it is a lot simpler and as I understood it can be used on any DAW - I would hope that includes GB as well but can’t confirm. So if you haven’t already watched it, check out the post “Is there a better way”. I’ll have a dig around and see if I can tie up GB and ReaRoute and let you know.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Martin

Not had time to watch this but the write up suggests it may be what you require. Most of the guides written here had Windows in mind but hopefully this will help, :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Martin,

I run Scarlett Interface into a Mac into Logic Pro (so should be same for GarageBand) and then on via Blackhole to either QuickTime (with iPhone tethered) for video recording or zoom for the call. I didn’t use yesterday and I’m not sure how much latency it adds to the overall setup as I had issues previously but I think that was my zoom settings not this audio routing.

Setting up a virtual device with Mac device at the top seemed to be the key thing as per this guide on their site: Existential Audio - How To Stream From GarageBand to Zoom. I used the 2 channel version (I think).

I also have it working so you can pick up Mac audio (eg backing track outside GarageBand) and send to your recorded / streamed audio.

Am happy to go through setup if want to or help troubleshoot as it was a pain to do and took me a few goes.

There is another loopback software for windows and Mac (vb-cable) that looks easier to use but I didn’t try as I had this working by the time I heard of it. A lot of guides refer to older software that hasn’t worked for last few Mac OS updates or to paid for software that I couldn’t quite justify spending on.

Al

2 Likes

Al

The video I posted is using Loopback. Just watched it and it seem very similar to ReaStream and ReaRoute on Windows. Looks pretty straight forward so an option for Martin if he want to take that route. Not the greatest of Tuts but has enough to be able to set things up.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Yep - I think the free version of that has a 20min timeout and paid version I think is ~$119… (Rogue Amoeba | Downloading and trying our software) But I would love to be wrong on that as it looks to take a lot of hassle out… :smiley: