Open mic with an electric

What would people think to a performer who sang with an electric guitar at an open mic?

Can you think of any practical / sound considerations? Could it sound a bit crappy? Although I always think the acoustic out to the PA sounds thin and not really like an acoustic guitar anyway

Lewis

With the right set up it should be fine. Check out my JGC Open Mic dry runs on my Youtube Channel, 90% have been with electrics of one sort or another. Ha you may think they’re pants ! But they were rehearsals.

youtube.com/channel/UC2wcjHmnrFuQyom6tqUtdrQ/videos

Some of the earlier ones from the old form are labelled OMx x being the show number, most of those were recorded a few days after the show but same set up in most cases.

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

No man you’re sounding absolutely great ! Do you play out in person at all?

No I am out in the sticks in Normandy France. Only started singing and playing about 18 months ago. I could sing (ish) and play just not at the same time. I had a mental block for years and it suddenly clicked. There are some venues a drive or so away but it all coincided with covid plus my missus has had some health issues. But I am hoping maybe if thing settle down I’ll give it ago.

Ironically I just recorded some initial rehearsal for level checks for OM IX on Saturday and I have switched to an acoustic, as its not been aired on the forum yet !! But vox and gtr are running through a TC Helicon PlayAcoustic which gives me plenty of FX options.

I’d say give it ago, just get the levels and balance sorted out at home before hand and don’t touch any dial until after the gig :rofl:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Not just me playing 'leckys out our OMs. Why not join the audience on Saturday and see what folks get up to. If you are interested drop a request here with your time zone on UTC, can’t recall where you are based. Always a good craic ! :sunglasses:

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/open-mic-009-call-for-interest/80411

1 Like

Thanks I keep meaning to check it out. Such a great community here

1 Like

@lewis2025 Check with the venue. Some allow electric guitars, some don’t. These are my suggestions:

:bat: You’ll need to be confident with your part of the sound in the way you use your pick ups, tone etc. Some venues have awful sound systems so you’ll have to be able to compensate for this.
:bat: I take my own mic, mainly for hygiene, but it’s also a way of having some control over the sound. Know how to use your mic for best effect.
:bat: An acoustic guitar can sound awesome through a sound system that’s got a good tech at the desk. Talk to the tech before you go on, make a connection with them.
:bat: When you plug your guitar in, make sure you loop the cable under the strap first. This way you won’t accidentally pull out the cable during your performance. This is especially important if you play standing up. See Justin’s video below.
:bat: Don’t unplug your guitar till the tech tells you too. Otherwise it makes a horrible noise.
:bat: Do a sound check before you start, vocal and guitar. Ask the tech to make any changes you want before you begin.
:bat: Make sure you can hear yourself. Ideally there will be at least one foldback speaker pointing your way. If it’s a noisy venue you may not be able to hear yourself, even if they can hear you.
:bat: Enjoy the ride :smiling_face:

4 Likes