Open Strings Between Changes

Thanks for sharing your experience. :guitar:

1 Like

I have a related question. If I’m strumming, for example, an E chord, then switch to D, the bottom 2 strings are still ringing out when they shouldn’t for a D chord.
Is this something I should worry about, and if so, how can I fix it? It doesn’t sound so good when all the strings are vibrating on a D chord.

1 Like

Hi @bunnymai, welcome to the community! You are correct, the bottom two strings (low E and A) don’t belong in the D chord - the E sounds especially bad! Try not to hit them when you strum. It will come with practice!

If you have a minute, maybe tell us a bit about yourself on the Introduce Yourself page!

2 Likes

If changing from open E to open D, then when I play the D chord I would normally mute the bottom E string with my thumb. The ringing A will sound ok as it is the 5th of the D chord (although my thumb can normally mute that too, but it’s not absolutely necessary). As Judi says, normally when playing the D try to only strike strings 1-4.

1 Like

I’m assuming you are fairly early in your journey, so dont stress too much about it.

The important thing is to develop the correct mindset that unplayed strings should be muted/ silenced in some way. You’ll then likely develop the skill sort of organically over time.

Justin does cover this concept in general in various lessons, in reference to both the fretting hand and the strumming hand.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Thanks @sclay, @mathsjunky and judi!
Yes I’m very new in my guitar journey, just working through Justin’s grade 1 at the moment. I try to only hit the correct strings when strumming, but because the open strings are still ringing out from the previous note, it still sounds bad.
I think the thumb muting covers what I was asking about, I’m guessing Justin will cover the technique in a later video. I wanted to know if experienced players did anything when changing chords to mute any open strings they don’t want ringing out.

1 Like

Carolyn, if you are not placing your fingers down on to the new chord (D in this example) together and ‘just in time’ for the 1, but separately and before the 1, then I suggest you sacrifice the upstrum on the + after 4 for now.
Try to improve in other ways first, especially simultaneous landing of fingers: try the advice I give in this post.

1 Like

If they are still ringing out from your Up strum of the + after 4 then the fix is simple. Do not hit all of the strings on your Up strum. As a general guide, it is musically better if your Up strums only strike the thinner 3 or 4 strings anyway so that will help you to have better control of your strumming.

If the low E and A strings are still ringing from a Down strum then try hitting less hard on the count of 4.

I hope that helps. Cheers :smiley: | Richard | JustinGuitar Approved Teacher, Official Guide & Moderator

1 Like

Thank you @Richard_close2u. I will try the suggested drill. Anything to improve the D… it’s a module 1 chord, but it still gives me grief all these moons later! :upside_down_face:

Carolyn

1 Like