Opensourcing website source code

I know there is a limited staff and budget. I bet there are several programmers like me who use this site. I would totally code up and add features I want or those that are max upvoted. Not sure what content management backend handles content that is copyrighted but I think the website uses react and features could be added by the community for free without having to give access to any paid for content. I have been maintainer and developer and I know just doing maintainingā€¦ ie reviewing external code is a lot of work and there is risk in someone breaking something but as an ex-Linux devā€¦ some of the most work gets done for free by people with a passion. Could try just the practice assistant or some tiny subset of the site as an experiment. :slight_smile: Not sure if you have a formal bug tracker or upvote system for features. Iā€™ve been using the hearts for feature requests I like that other suggest but itā€™s got to be hard and time consuming to track. Github has itā€™s own bug tracker or bugzilla could help. Would love to hear if there are any other programmers out there that are itching to add features they want to use.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a retired developer with recent java, react and php experience. My arm might be able to be twisted to help out. As long as it doesnā€™t interfere with my guitar playing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah there are lots of software people here. However I can totally understand why someone wouldnā€™t open source their site. You replace one problem with another - managing volunteer devs.

1 Like
1 Like

Is this what the forum here is based on?

Diego yes Discourse :sunglasses: