Our new Community Moderator: DavidP!

Oh wow, David! I just saw this. Congratulations! I know you are the man for the job. Really happy for you.

1 Like

Thank you @LievenDV !

1 Like

1 Like

Funny you mentioned it Lieven, I know you are officially not supporting the phone app that downloads itself, however I had an Android update yesterday and I have inbuilt GIF Tenor within my keyboard now (similar to what Facebook or Whatsapp has but now outside social media platform) and I was hopeful I can put a GIF easily into the message here. Unfortunately I got a notification saying not supported, back to emojis only :frowning:

I suppose that is only a matter of time that something likewise is goign to be supported into the discourse text editor.

Mobile is still on my to do but it is a big chunck that needs a big chunck of focused time to check it all out. (mobile experience, default mobile template on several platforms, alternative temples etc

1 Like

What’s the RRY mean after Maybe ?? :rofl

Terrific badge. Sheriff @DavidP can stick that on his signature hat.

Don’t worry David. The novelty of this will soon wear off. :joy:

1 Like

Not if we keep the momentum going !! There are nearly 54k users on at the moment :rofl:

2 Likes

I solemnly swear never to ‘do a Bob Marley’ on any of his deputies :wink:

5 Likes

Hey David…….

1 Like

Toby, I had to look where the RRY was :thinking:
It’s actually Mayberry, is the town where Andy Taylor (actor Andy Griffith) is the sheriff. It’s a 1960’s sitcom that was all homey and cute … just like our David.
The Andy Griffith Show - Wikipedia

1 Like

That’s also where Ron Howard got his start.

@DavidP
Hi David. In the last 23 hours, 57 different topics have been posted. Your first job as a moderator is to tell me how to keep track of it all.
I’m at the stage of giving up here as I’m spending far too much time on the site.

I’ve got notifications set up for AVoYP and Learning Logs but other interesting stuff gets lost and I find it a week after it’s posted. An hour after something is posted here it’s 20th on the ‘latest’ list.

As for ‘Hi I’m ……….’ there must be thousands of them now. I realise this doesn’t sound very inclusive but could we not just get people to start a Learning Log rather than cluttering up the place with thousands of ‘welcome to the Community’ replies.

The forum/community is one of the things that keeps my guitar interest up and the information and advice is so valuable and inspiring. I love feeling I’m not alone in my efforts to learn guitar and the chat and banter are great fun. But it’s all suddenly becoming too cumbersome.

Rant over! :smiley:

3 Likes

Congratulations @DavidP Well deserved I would say.

1 Like

Many congrats DP. I voted for you for good reason. You will be a valued addition to the team and I look forward to your contributions. May it go well indeed and rock on!

LB

1 Like

Thanks again for all the congratulations, condolences, and banter.

@brianlarsen @TheMadman_tobyjenner @sairfingers I reckon you guys can keep that banter going indefinitely, feeding off each other and any others who join in. I’ll just keep chuckling and rather than the novelty wearing off a new subject to get your attention will emerge. Guess this is like my 15 minutes under the spotlight moment :laughing:

@sairfingers I hear you on the level of posting. I used to read pretty much everything and reply to a good many.

Now that we have all the lesson specific posts perhaps made from the lesson page on the website rather than in the Community and the increased number of members active in the Community, that is no longer possible.

Like you I have a few topics set up to generate notifications and tend to scan the rest quickly for topic titles that look interesting.

And I figure this increase in volume is one of the reasons for adding me to the Moderator Team, to help with that load.

On the Introducing category, I hear you. I suppose the trade-off there is that not everybody would maintain a Learning Log and so perhaps better to reduce the number of Topics in the Category.

And all of that not especially helpful with suggestions to manage use of the site :anguished:

2 Likes

Excellent choice, again congratulations David!

I tired to reply to each one and quickly gave up. I also belong to a Chevrolet Avalanche forum. Since they no longer make them, there are far less new members that we have here. Instead of commenting in each new member post, I simply welcome them by liking their posts.

One thing the Avalanche forum does that may help here is to have a single sticky thread in which new members introduce themselves vs. each new member creating a new thread.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Joe

I think the use of ‘like’ is still something I am getting used to in the Community now, since we did not really have the equivalent in the Forum. I find I am using ‘like’ far more frequently now, rather than a short positive reply that didn’t provide anything further in terms of additional feedback or answers.

And that is how it was on the Forum. I used to just read those without replying. Periodically somebody might post a general "Welcome to all the new folk’ message. The Welcome read and reply here is something that generates a lot of messages but seems to be settling down now, I think, though I haven’t looked at the Sub-category and analysed its activity.

1 Like

DP on the job, banning fools, slamming spammers, and taking names. Congratulations sir. You da’ man, man. Dig it!

2 Likes