Overdue introductions from Thomas and Trent in Sydney

I’ve posted quite a few of Trent’s videos in AVOYP, but have realised that we’ve never formally introduced ourselves.

I tried to get into guitar when I was a kid but it unfortunately never worked out. Many years later, in 2015, I decided to give learning guitar another go and acquired an acoustic and electric guitar. After looking for online instruction I quickly found Justin’s site and was absolutely amazed at the quality of the teaching and the fact that it was freely available. In 2016 I ordered Justin’s Complete DVD Bundle, which was really great stuff, and have been using his lessons ever since.

Also in 2016, I started realising that my son, Trent, then 3, was very interested in my guitars and really enjoyed strumming them and listening intently to the sounds they’d make. Two years later, using a toy guitar, he started showing us “patterns” that he had made up on this toy guitar. I then bought a Ukulele for him and out of his own accord he asked one of the music teachers at his school if they could teach him. That happened for a few months until he moved over to guitar.

He continued with that until 2019 when we relocated from South Africa to Australia and subsequently hit Covid lockdown. During that time Trent really leaned on JustinGuitar to to help learn new songs and later start singing along with them. In 2022 he started busking every now and then at one of the local malls.

As for me, I still focus on and try improve my own guitar. I can’t keep up with Trent, but it gives me just as much joy to support him and watch him grow his musicianship and find passion and joy in music. I’ve got some catching up to do, but I’m hoping one of these days we can do a song together :slight_smile:

13 Likes

A warm welcome Thomas and Trent. Hopefully you can inspire each other :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Thomas and Trent. Nice to read your story. Keep both of you playing and developing your guitar skills, each one at his own pace.

1 Like

Hello Thomas and Trent, and a warm Welcome to the community. So nice to have you here :hugs:.
That’s really wonderful that you two are enjoying the same hobby.
I wish you a fantastic guitar journey :smiley:.

1 Like

Hey guys, great to meet you. Quite few aussies pop up in the forums, always good to see more. We are at Bathurst doing the big lap in our caravan, heading to Sydney for Xmas. Look forward to hearing more from you both.

1 Like

Hi Thomas and Trent (from across the ditch in NZ)! What a cool story, really interesting to hear how you both made your starts with guitar. Can’t wait to see more from you both. All the best! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Thomas/Trent

You and the kid seem like old friends so thanks for the “official” intro.Beyond that now so just crack on and get your own $%^& out there and stop hiding behind the kid Thomas. Brent give your old man a kick up the jacksee and tell him to get recording !

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Guys, great to find out a bit about you. Thomas when are you going to take the plunge and post one of yourself in AVOYP?. And Trent, as I said at the Xmas livestream, you’re a rock star in the making! Amazing to hear that you’ve already performed in public offline!!!

1 Like

Hi Thomas, Trent and all the family.
(Officially) welcome to JustinGuitar community.
You already know what a place this is and have been joining in regularly in avoyp etc.
If you need any help or support elsewhere as you learn, just ask.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide, Approved Teacher & Moderator

Hello Thomas and Trent. :slight_smile:

Nice to get a bit of background on you guys.

1 Like

Hello Thomas and Trent, welcome to the community. I had the pleasure of watching Trent play live at the JG Christmas bash it was a real treat. :smiley:

1 Like