Palm Muting on a Stratocaster

I was wondering how many fellow Fender / Squier Stratocaster owners have the same problem as me when Palm muting / chugging where you inadvertently move the guitar volume knob while doing so, and how have you managed to get around the problem?

1 Like

I’d suggest experimenting with how you hold the pick in your hand. Perhaps record yourself and see how you’re doing it?

I have accidentally hit the volume knob but it’s not a regular thing.

1 Like

Some suggestions I’ve seen involve putting a bit of padding (like felt washer)under the knob, creating a bit of resistance so it won’t turn so easily.

1 Like

In the past when I had a ST type I had that problem, I just swapped the tone and volume around, shifting the tone a bit doesn’t make so much impact on it.

I had the same problem. I solved it by just pulling the plastic knob off the shaft of the pot.

Inelegant, but very easy short term fix.

Not so much the volume knob, but I do find myself clipping the pickup selector switch a lot on my strat. If I leave it in the 4 or 5 position (pointing down away from the strings) then it’s fine but in positions 1, 2 or 3 I’m always hitting it.

You’ll likely find that over time @direvus your strumming will shorten up and you wont hit it anymore. I used to do it on my Telecaster all the time.

2 Likes