Palm Muting

Why would you want to do it on all rock songs? You can practice palm muting if you’re interested in it and in a little while you will recognize it on recordings.

Hi Friends :slight_smile:

I know in tabs that muting is show as the symbols that shows the image attached, but what is the differences between the fist and the second symbol? I assume that first is string muting and the second is palm muting.

Muting

The first symbol is a rest - usually mute all strings. Palm muting will show regular tab with “palm muted” or “P.M.” over the top, with the notes you play palm muted. That’s on professionally put together tab, often you just have to listen and decide.

I’m not sure what that second symbol means.

1 Like

Half rest (2 beats) for the square sitting on top of the line and quarter rest (1 beat) for the squiggly looking one. If it’s mirroring sheet music, that is.

2 Likes

I am having difficulties with palm muting and just chugging away on fast 16th notes at double time like the clash or even slower song like Paranoid.

Whats happening is not so much the palm mute itself. I can do it on my acoustic, the problem is on my strat. It seems the volume knob is right where I put part of my hand or, rest my anchor finger, when chugging and suddenly my volume gets turned down if I get into it at all.

I am going to attempt to relearn palm mute free floating my hand above maybe or I dont know. Justin seems to keep his hand way up high just over the string no where near where my volume knob is. Of course he is playing Paranoid on a sweet Gibson SG.

Anyone with any suggestions? I need to chug my heavy distorted power chord on a strat.

I had that problem many years ago.

The easy fix was to just pop off the plastic knob. It will still function perfectly well as a volume control without the knob.

It does however…look like crap.

I understand you can get a felt washer that provides just enough resistance to prevent brushing contact from turning the knob. Sounds like a much more elegant solution, but have not tried it myself.

3 Likes

Thats a great idea, thank you so much. I looked it up and it seems to be very common. I will try it today, I just recently got an electric and finally trying to get it set up, so lots of new things to consider and work through. Its a bit different that the acoustic. I am loving it.

Thanks again Tbushell

1 Like