Panning from L to R in Reaper

I wasn’t thinking of sidechain compression, but a simple way to control the “relative” level of a track over time… but still have the master volume controlled by the mixer slider… if that makes sense.

In Reaper, if you for example have a track and you’ve set the volume slider to -4db. Then when you enable a volume envelope the slider will snap back to sit at 0db, and the envelope will be created with a -4db across the entire track.

But that’s not the way I’m thinking of what I want to achieve with the envelope. Perhaps I enabled it simply to reduce the volume by 1db when there is a solo… regardless of what I set the overall track volume to. So in my head it would make a lot more sense if the slider stayed at -4db and an envelope was shown, sitting at 0db across the entire track. Then I could easily duck the volume where needed, and see how much I’ve lowered/raised it with that move… rather than always seeing the final track volume on the envelope…

I’m glad to have caught some of those magic beans, before they all disappeared down the wormholes :wink: Good job I started this thread, as I don’t have to bookmark it now for future reference :smiley:

IOW you want a “gain envelope” rather than a “volume envelope”?

Cheers,

Keith

Seems I wasn’t looking closely enough… Reaper has an envelope type called “Trim Volume” that is behaving exactly like I want. And yes, I guess “gain” could be another term for it.

… of course Reaper had the feature already… I should have known :wink: