Paranoid - Black Sabbath (cover)

Hi all,

My last cover attempt for the year:

Bit of a rush to get this done in time. I can definitely nail the solo a little better (can be more in the pocket on the second half, and the bends aren’t perfect here) but I didn’t think I’d get a better take today and still find time to post the video.

13 Likes

Hi Mike, great to see you have made it here and what a great rooking introduction you have given us. Rock on into the new year.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Really enjoyed that Mike. Great song and really well played. Its on my list of aspirational songs but i’ve a fair way to go before I can attempt it. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

One of my favourite songs to play. This is an excellent cover, really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

That sounded great! Not really much else to to say except “give us more.” :slight_smile:

Sweet guitar, by the way.

1 Like

What a great pick-me-up. Super good play!!!

1 Like

That was so tight Mike, what a way to finish up 2021! Done, dusted and onto the next one, hopefully at least that good as this recording! Loved it!

1 Like

Great one to finish 2021 off Mike and you made a cracking job of it!

1 Like

That sounded awesome! Great old-school vibe and tones, great playing. Rhythm was locked nicely to the groove.
I did hear the issues you mention wrt the bends in the solo, but the main thing is that you hear them yourself and is aware of it. With a few more takes I’m sure you would have nailed it :wink:

Have a nice NY evening, and have a rocking 2022!

Kasper

1 Like

Most excellent! I was feeling a bit sleepy, thinking of a nap, but that picked me up so on to stuff!
Thanks, Mike.

1 Like

Good job! Those guitars really thicken the tone.

The playing was tight. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That was great, Mike, nice rocking goodbye to 2021! I was playing the rhythm on that for awhile, maybe I should put it back on my list for 2022.

Happy New Year!!

Now that’s the way to make an entrance, Mike :metal:

Of what I think of as The Big Three, I am a Purple man, but love this song and maybe one day I can get close.

The tone, the riffs, the solo … all sounded so good to me. What a new year’s day treat!

Was the guitar multi-tracked or the video just split into the segments for visual effect?

1 Like

So we’ll done. Great to wake up to on the first Sunday morning of the New Year! :grinning:

1 Like

Damn, I’m just getting ready to go to bed on Saturday morning… :wink:

(And it’s been a long night.)

2 Likes

Fab cover of an iconic song.
Even though I kinda knew it wasn’t going to happen, I was hoping for you to start hollering: “Finished with my woman…” (and maybe even some bat-munching :laughing:)

Is that two guitar takes, with the videos doubled and diagonal?
Cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Those nights are long, long ago for me!
My wife and I just about managed 1:00am and that was only due to the cajoling of our offspring

1 Like

Blimey, I didn’t expect it to be so busy on here on new years eve/day. Is it my imagination or is it much busier here than the old form? Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.

Was the guitar multi-tracked or the video just split into the segments for visual effect?

I’m recording stereo, hard panned left and right with different cab sims and mic position for a bit of variety. Then it’s just two takes - one for rhythm one for the solo.

The video thing is a bit silly… I wanted to have the two videos side by side but Reaper comes with a 2x2 grid display option. I could have looked for alternatives or dug into the code that you use to define video editing macros, but that’s a rabbit hole I want to avoid. Otherwise 6 months from now I’ll be answering questions on mailing lists when I should be practicing guitar. Anyway, I asked my wife if it looked better with two black quarters or with all four going with the videos doubled up and she chose the latter.

1 Like

You know, I did have a brief go singing this but it’s so far from my “style” that I gave up. Ozzy was a crazy talent I think.

1 Like

Super job there Mike. Haven’t heard that song in a while and you really nailed it. Well done.