Penne Quattro Formaggi

Sorry, I missed this one David. Happens a bit now in this busy community. Sounded pretty good mostly David - glad to see you gettin back into the blues.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hello David. :star_struck: I have a nice little gift for you my friend!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Something to get you thinking about and working on triplets.
I have created an audio track at three speeds to listen to and practice with, an accompanying pdf of the full TAB plus an annotated page to help you count the beats, especially the triplets. Hopefully the annotations on page 1 will allow you to annotate the full TAB if you need it.

Enjoy!

Richard
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Definitely good example of string bending…blues melody. Great job!

1 Like

Richard

The links and tracks you mentioned appeared momentarily when you first posted this reply. I checked about 15 minutes later and they were gone. Sorry tied up with other things and meant to reply at the time.

Toby

1 Like

Soundcloud was playing silly games & dropbox mp3 files refused to play.
I will try again.

The tab looked good from the quick glimpse but i was in the middle of cooking a meal. Will check in the morning as just turning in.
:sunglasses:

Awsome David!! Sounded cool :fire::fire::fire:
Blues really suits you!
Keep em comin!!

1 Like

@DavidP (and @TheMadman_tobyjenner )

We’re back in business on the sharing platforms today …

Triplets / Slides / Hammer-ons / Flick-offs / Bends

PDF

TAB page 1 only with annotations showing the counts. (I will annotate the full TAB if requested.)

Full track at 95 bpm.

Full track at 80 bpm.

Backing track (no lead guitar) at 80 bpm.

1 Like

Well that made an enjoyable 5 minutes listening before the morning dog walk. Nicely put together with some good ideas. I like the use of the repeaters, as I am trying to factor that into my latest impro project in E. This licks and links are collated but I am in two minds about the backing track I selected. This will certainly provide a good vehicle for folks seeking impro ideas. Nice one Richard. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby.
I was mulling on it over night and thinking it could be the basis of a new Tip Topic.

I would certainly agree with that. I have always felt Justin’s BL lessons needed something extra to bring the licks together but appreciate by the time you get there you should be starting a voyage of discovery. Cold licks in isolation and no context are always difficult to apply and I think that is why a lot of the Pattern 1 licks are often expressed as difficult to use. I have always found them a difficult “fit” compared to P2. Its not just me a David who have said that. Have some thoughts on that but I think it would make a very good TT may be aligned to the licks JS presents. Food for thought.

Definitely Richard. It’ll get lost here in amongst David’s formaggio! :smiley:

Well I thought that was great David.

Watching you play, you don’t look uncomfortable or tense when you play. To me you just looked like you were lost in your bluesy groove.

This is the thing I find difficult Toby. I think that’s why the Layla thing we were trying last month worked. It was more of a melody style lick rather than trying to fit random licks into a song.

Me, too. I have often thought that Justin should end each lesson on “5 blues licks” with a 1-2 minute jam of him putting together those licks. I did find an old lesson where he does just that (for the 5 pattern 1 licks) and found it pretty helpful: Blues Lead Guitar: Using Licks #5of20 (Guitar Lesson BL-015) How to play - YouTube

Clearly, you don’t want to copy his example lick for lick, but it does give you a good feel for the possibilities. I wish this sort of jam was available for the other licks Jason teaches. If he ever decides to update those lessons …

2 Likes

Great find. I definitely watched and used that older video many times when I was looking at minor pentatonic pattern 1 and Justin’s five licks. :slight_smile:

Good find John. I don’t recall that being part of BL 1 when I when through it a few years back but there was a PDF that had all 5 licks down in a kind of “solo” format. Its certainly not a “version” of Justin I recall either but I think he has reshot many video multiple times.

Cool! Maybe you can record some 1-2 minute jams using the 5 specific licks in any given lesson?? :grinning:

Lots of replies and activity that I have been reading and now a reply is overdue.

Thanks one and all for taking time to watch and reply, such encouraging and supportive feedback is invaluable and appreciated!

@CT good to hear from you, Clint. Hope you are keeping well and look forward to receiving a notification on your channel again. Your improv play is one of the my sources of inspiration. Glad you liked it.

@sairfingers some good stuff works for me Gordon. Look forward to your next as we continue to develop the ability to play the blues

@batwoman it is all just such fun, Maggie, that persisting doesn’t take much to sustain it. As for cheese sauce, the opportunity to have fun with a pasta sauce with blue cheese in it was too good to miss

@Socio as I always say, to keep progressing is all I hope for James, and means a lot when it is affirmed here. I think bluesy is the word. Eventually hopefully I’ll be playing the blues in a vein similar to my favourite bluesmen … similar of course being a super relative term

@DarrellW the dissonance is interesting, Darrell. One of the suggestions is to play the same lick over the entire 12BB, which will lead to that. There was also my vibrator which was too ‘wide’ ending up closer to a curl or semi-tone bend than vibrato. Ever onwards

@TheMadman_tobyjenner thanks again for all you’ve shared, Toby. Glad you spotted lick #10, A couple of others were from Justin’s pattern 2 licks lessons. Glad to hear I was getting back to root, getting out of trouble. Hearing the chords and playing the changes sounds simple but has been a struggle for me. No offence taken on ‘wooden’. I think getting the licks under the fingers, hearing the changes, trying techniques like bends and vibrato consumes my concentration. If that can become smoother then I expect down the line feel and expressiveness will improve. This is definitely a marathon, not a sprint.

@sclay no worries, mate … did I just say that … pretty good mostly sounds pretty good. May never become a king of the blues but such fun following the path

@Richard_close2u I often wonder what I have done to deserve all the extras you give me, over and above encouragement and feedback, Richard. It is beyond words. Now this piece I think needs to become another of your Topics. Let’s move it and the replies out so your gems can be easily found and of value to all who are interested

@SDKissFan slowly slowly we catch the monkey, Jeff. happy to be sounding a little more bluesy than the last outing.

@tRONd a LP style electric and a hat, what else can I do Trond. And many of my inspirations make the blues sing and cry on an LP … Peter Green leaps to mind

@SgtColon well Stefan, if only I felt more relaxed and comfortable. And lost is often the right word … just not always in the way you mean.

@jjw John, thanks for the link. That was a great example of how to make music with the licks. Justin has mentioned that re-filming Blues Lead course is on his radar. Something to look forward to.

4 Likes