Pentatonic Beginnings

View the full lesson at Pentatonic Beginnings | JustinGuitar

I am kind of confused, where do I find Download the pdf file, which is TAB with rhythm written above it?Simply click the PDF link in the right column (under the ad!)?

Welcome to the community Spencer.
The work sheet and answers are in the Resources section.

Hi @spencershaver
Look across to the right of the clickable buttons under the video player whenever there are downloadable resources:

Cheers :blush:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide & Moderator

Oh man getting so many notes wrong here… :slight_smile: maybe I should get through all these exercises (I’m doing one per day, takes me about 20-30 minutes each) and then do them again? I do get some of it right, but most of it is so wrong lol - was kind of easier at the beginning. I use acoustic guitar to find the sound I hear, could the tone be an obstacle to getting the note right, or it’s just a matter of practice (it probably is?)? Never done it before of course so not blaming the instrument. And thanks for this course very much, Justin!

Aleks, the fact that you get some right is encouraging. It demonstrates that you have the capacity to develop your ear. Keep working at it. I’m not familiar with this lesson but perhaps repeating the same exercise day-by-day may help to develop your ear in small steps, through focused repetition and taking small steps.

@wobba_bobba

It is only natural to struggle, to get some correct and some not. A suggestion I would make is to note that Justin has deliberately set these up to only be using the A minor pentatonic scale pattern 1.
To transcribe from that scale you need to be 100% familiar with it. By that I don’t just mean that your fingers can walk up and down the notes while your other hand picks the strings. I mean that you have the sound of the notes and the ascending and descending intervals between them firmly embedded in your ear and your head.
Have you only ever practiced the scale going up and then back down? If yes, then I suggest you set aside transcribing for a short period and work on your scale ear training.
Play the scale ascending and descending in 3rds, in 4ths, with string-skipping. Solos and lead guitar lines do not simply go up and down and up and down in linear sequence - they can jump about also. You need your ear to be able to recognise when a note is not an adjacent note but on a different string - same fret or different string - different fret too.
I hope that helps.
Cheers L(
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Official Guide and Moderator

Speaking of the minor pentatonic scale… Just recently listened to Top of the Pops (Kinks) and thought I heard a repetitive chunk of A minor pentatonic in one of the breaks. Any Kinks fans that can verify? Would be good to know for my ear training confidence.