Play the same chords using different grips

Let's explore how you can use your capo creatively - and play one chord using different grips on your guitar!

View the full lesson at Play the same chords using different grips | JustinGuitar

Wow! this lesson was really helpful to understanding CAGED. I see this all over the internet but I could never understand what everyone was trying to explain. This really was put in a way that I able to comprehend. Thanks!

3 Likes

I would like to see you play this whole series without using a pick. Just strumming with your fingers using these creative expressions of chords as beautiful music.

Great lesson. Thanks. It did clear up some cloudiness on the CAGED system. Can you point to another lesson, or add to this lesson, how to know which fret to put the capo on, if say, you started playing an open C Chord, then wanted to play with a capo (I just can’t do bar chords). I get the next chord would be an A, but at what fret and how would one figure that out? The next shape would be a G, but again, what fret and how to determine (i.e. what is the formula or logic to know the fret)? Then an E chord, then a D Chord, then back to C chord.

Have a look here david: https://community.justinguitar.com/t/a-capo-for-two-jamming-for-beginners/4159

Thank you!

@davidgadway welcome to the forum David.
To use the example of the C chord. The open C chord the root note is on the A string 3rd fret. That’s where the capo goes to play the A shape C chord. The root on the A shaped C chord is on the G string 5th fret. That’s where the capo goes for the G shape C chord. The root on the G shaped C is on the 8th fret of the E string that’s where the capo goes for the E shaped C chord. The root of the E shaped C chord is on the 10th fret of the D string thats where the capo goes for the D shaped goes.
It would be easier to just learn the CAGED Chords and where the root notes are. Then you can use that formula to know where to put the capo for every chord in every key.
Justin has a whole series of lesson on CAGED on the web site. Just do a search for CAGED and it will come up.

Thanks Stitch. That is a great explanation. I did see the CAGED lesson after I posed the question, and plan to start that tomorrow. To your point on the Root note… The C Open Chord has two root notes: The 3rd fret of the A String as you mention, but also on the 1st fret of the B string. In that case, when you have two root notes, how do you know which fret to use? I notice that the A, C, and D have 2 root notes, while E and G have 3 root notes.

Here you are, just perfect for the question you ask …

Hi David,

What matters here is where the lowest note is, i.e. the lowest C in the C chord, the lowest A in the A chord, etc.

1 Like

@davidgadway the easiest why to know where the capo goes is to know what chord shape you want to use. For example you want to play in the key of D. Find the D on the E string. What chord have a 6th string root? E and G. The E chord is forward of the Root so the capo goes on the Root note. The G chord goes behind the Root note so the capo goes 3 frets lower than the Root note.
Same example with C and A shaped chords both have Root note on the A string. Find the note D. The A chord is forward of the Root note so the Capo goes on the Root note. The C chord is the same as the G chord the chord is behind the Root note so the capo goes 3 frets lower.
The D shape has the Root note on the D string and is like the E and A the chord is forward of the root so the capo goes on the Root note.

1 Like

Thank you, Richard.