Playing and Singing - is it going to be possible?

Hi everyone, I hope it’s ok to bring this to the community as this isn’t so much a guitar question but more of a vocal cord question.

I had a really bad covid type cold back in March but am finding I’m struggling to pitch some of my vocal note. We’re three months on, I’ve only just stopped coughing last week and my voice still isn’t right when I sing. Has anyone had this problem before and do the vocal cords recover please?

I have taken up guitar in January and my aim is to play and sing, but I’m a bit worried right now that this isn’t going to be possible. I know we’re not necessarily vocal chord experts but just seeing if anyone has any thoughts or experience of this please.

If this question is not appropriate for the forum, please feel free to remove.

2 Likes

Hi Angie,

Yes you will be able to sing again eventually. I’ve had a bad cough for a few weeks and managed to upload a few videos here anyway. Justin guitar does not specialize in vocal training but there are tons of options online to help develop your skills. Here’s some advice a professional gave me about singing:

Jeff, good song selection and volume levels; For singing, open up your mouth, sing from the diaphragm, use the vowel system to relax your voice. Let your natural airflow do the work. So be aware that singing and speaking are not the same. Relax your tongue, sing into the upper pallet. I hope this helps.

There are other exercises to do to warm up like humming the melody first and using the vowel sounds for the lyrics like all o sounds or all a sounds etc. ah- ah - aaah-ahhhh…probably sounds better if you watch a professional explain.

There was a professional who had to have vocal cord surgery and took him awhile before he could sing again, but his story is proof it’s possible. Tom keifer of Cinderella. Nobody’s fool . Don’t know what you’re got till it’s gone “ for example.

I still have the bad cough from a summer cold or whatever it is but I made it through and posted a few songs here this past few days. You probably can tell, but I just fight through and keep trying. Drink lots of water too

Good luck

Jeff

3 Likes

Angie

I think its common to force your voice when you have not undergone specific training. Not sure if that is the case with you but having relaxed vocals and releasing tension in the body and head will help your range and dynamics.

I’d strongly recommend Chris Liepe’s Discover Your Voice course, which a few of here have done over the last 3 years or so. Its not free but really does release your potential and reduces the strain of singing.

There a 3 lesson taste which in its self can make a great difference but gives you an insight to the actual course.

4 Likes

Yes Toby. That guy Chris L has awesome lessons. Thanks for posting. I want to watch him again

2 Likes

Never and always don’t happen in medicine.
It’ll get better :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, I’ll start doing this stuff but keep it gentle. I desperately want to be able to sing. I was worried I might have permanently damaged my vocal chords. Thank you for this.

Thank you so much Toby, I’ll watch the videos. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Aw thanks Brian

As my voice has aged (and not like fine wine) it has become harder to sing above regular hard pick and steal string strumming. What to do? Finger style, finger picking and thumb strumming are probably the best approaches. I also use a rubber pick at times (Wedgie brand). Play softer so that your voice can rise above it with less strain on your voice.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts Clint, much appreciated. I’m singing quite softly but it’s a bit wobbly. If it doesn’t sort itself out, I’ll work on your suggestions. Many thanks.

Angie, good advice received.

My personal experience was that it took quite a few weeks to be able to sing again after I had recovered from Covid and felt to be generally well.

So just be patient, ‘listen’ to your body, and you’ll be belting those songs out in due course.

1 Like

Thank you David :+1:

Don’t have any advice, but I am also having trouble with my voice cracking in weird spots, and I did have covid in January and was coughing well into March, maybe it’s part of my problem, too. It never occurred to me. I used to sing classical choral music in my much younger days in college, perhaps covid and old age have combined to make my singing frustrating. (I’m sure it doesn’t help that some songs just don’t seem to be built for my vocal range, too…)

Aww. thanks for sharing Rebecca. It’s so frustrating isn’t it. I’ve given my voice a few days off so we’ll see what happens. I guess we can use a capo to help us sing in a more appropriate key for our voice, but I have to say I have no clue where it should go to suit mine :joy:.
It’s nice to know I’m not alone in this one. I do think that as I get older the singing voice is very much a use it or lose it thing, so let’s keep singing girl!!!

Yeah, I haven’t figured that out, either. Funny thing is today I was practicing What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes and the first run through sounded great, so I figured, let’s do a recording. Well, we know how those go… lol. I’ve been practicing while out walking my dogs, fortunately, it’s on trails through farm fields so no one but my dogs and wildlife can hear me. At least I hope not! :grin:

2 Likes