Playing Nylon string guitars and Acoustic guitars both? does that make sense?

OK Most of my life I have played nylon-string ( classical guitars ) for all kinds of music
today I tried after a very long time to play acoustic guitar. I hate the sound. It is not smooth
the string is also much harder. I know I will get used to it but after playing it
when I come back to classical guitar everything is so awkward.

Now I wonder are there people out there who play both sytels ? both guitars?

How do they overcome the awkward feeling?

Does it not have bad effect on your fingers and overall playing if you go back and forth from classical to acoustic guitar ?

Why do you want to play a steel string acoustic?

I am learning using both nylon standard classical and steel string. Beginner (months) to nylon and 1.5 years with steel string.

They are different, but aside from some adjustments, I see no reason not to play both. I think they will complement each other and allow more versatility than either alone.

Have you thought of a nylon crossover? Some of those, with higher tension nylons, can bring the playability of the steel string but retain some of the tonal features and feel of the nylon.

I looked at some before I bought a classical guitar. They were really great to play, but for me they were a bit too similar to the steel string.

It really depends on your goals I think.

1 Like

Sure, there are people that play both. No, you don’t have to if you don’t want to. No, it won’t hurt you to do both so long as you practice general good technique of not pressing on the strings harder than you need to - and moving from nylon to steel and back may throw you off on that.

Steel strings have more of a rock/blues sound, which is why a lot of people like them. If that’s not for you, that’s okay, you don’t have to force yourself to play a guitar you don’t like - and I would urge you not to.

1 Like

It’s perfectly fine to play both nylon and steel-string guitars, and you don’t have to choose one exclusively if you enjoy both. As long as you practice good technique and avoid pressing too hard on the strings, transitioning between nylon and steel strings shouldn’t be harmful. However, be mindful that switching between the two may require some adjustment in your playing technique. Steel strings typically produce a brighter sound favored in rock and blues music, while nylon strings offer a softer, warmer tone.