Playing songs without singing ok?

Karen is right :smiley:

Yep. Sing, scat-sing, talk out the chord changes to the melody like Marty Music does, or hum while you practice. How many people listen to you practice? If anyone has that level of interest, ask them to sing. LOL

Thought I would interject on this topic, I wouldn’t want to persuade anybody who really doesn’t want to sing to sing, but.
When I joined the community I said I was not going to sing but was persuaded by some prominent members, some included above, I should give it a go. Without doubt the most IMPORTANT advice the community has given me, it forced me to take singing lessons. I am never going to be a good singer but would like to think I can get by. Although playing and singing is difficult I find it helps me learn songs by acting a guide to chord changes and lyrics.
In summary at least give it a go.
Michael

4 Likes

I agree with Michael you don’t have to be the best at singing but why not try. It could help you following along with a song. And who knows what talent pops up.

1 Like

No issues whatsoever Richard! Why try and do something you’ve got zero interest in? Plus as a bonus it gives you more time to just focus on your learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

At this point in my guitar journey I prefer to learn and improve my guitar skills than taking time learning how to sing.

I sing in my car and in the shower, maybe one day I will take the guitar to the shower and give it a try.

6 Likes

I suggest using a carbon-fiber guitar for this LOL! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

And preferably not electric.

3 Likes

Playing songs without singing is definitely ok. I had no intention of ever singing to others when I started out and would just sing to myself and cringe when I listened to my recordings. The more I sang however the more I improved, and now I am at a point where I am reasonably happy with how I sing. I am still not great but am comfortable enough with my voice that I don’t mind singing in front of others.
As others have pointed out, just do what makes you happy.

2 Likes