"Playing songs"

Hi, I’m an older player and have been on Justinguitar.com for about 7 months. I see a lot of discussions and even direction from Justin about “playing songs”. My question is: Does playing a chord per bar while playing along with the Musopians on the app or website really count as playing a song? When you say “playing songs” are you referring to this, or are you memorizing the chords and playing them while singing the melody of the song? I think these are two vastly different things and I’m still working on the former. Justin mentions songs that are great for around the campfire or at a party and I can’t imagine pulling out my phone and playing along with the app in front of someone. Thanks for any responses, this has bothered me for some time. -Stu

1 Like

Hi Stuart, if you are referring to the prerequisites to moving on from Grade 1 this means playing a song from memory. You won’t have the musopia app if you’re at a campfire. If you’re at the end of Grade 1 you should also be able to play the strumming patterns taught in grade 1. There is no requisite to being able to sing while playing. If you’re practicing with the app, I would suggest spending some time away from the app to learn songs as the app can be a bit of a crutch and as a result songs your playing you’re not memorising. I’d recommend checking out Justin’s song lessons for grade 1 songs. Remember you can slow songs right down and build up the tempo gradually until you can play it at the records tempo.

4 Likes

Hi Stuart, there can be a whole lot of different steps to learn a song, which can take more or less time:

• strumming:
    *1 strum per bar
    *2 strums per bar
    *applying a strumming pattern

• tempo:
    *reduced speed
    *gradually speeding up until you can play at
    *original speed

• playing from memory:
    *understanding the structure of the song (chord sequence for verse/chorus, …)
    *committing the structure to memory
    *maybe playing just one line or just the verse from memory
    *gradually adding other parts (chorus, intro, …)

• singing along:
    *learning the lyrics
    *learning to synchronise the lyrics and the chords

All of this is playing songs, just at different stages. Now, this may look like a whole lot that will take ages, but once you try it out (start with an easy song) you’ll see that different steps will naturally merge together, some may take a bit more time then others, but all in all, you’ll quickly be able to play through a simple song from memory.

Also keep i mind that what is to be considered ‘good enough playing’ depends on where you are in your journey. If you just finished module 2, playing 1 strum per bar is perfectly fine. At each module you will learn new techniques, and by the end of grade one, you’ll be able to happily strum your way through some easy songs.

And by the way, singing along is never a necessity. There are loads of people on here who just learn to play the guitar, without singing along, and that’s perfectly fine.

Have fun!

9 Likes

Hello Stuart.
Welcome to JustinGuitar and the Community.

YES YES YES. 100% :slight_smile:

Memorising songs is at another level.
Memorising to play and sing at the same time is yet another level.

You are far from alone when it comes to being unsure when / how to memorise chord progressions to learn songs. See these topics here for some helpful comments and advice.

I hope that helps.
Cheers
Richard
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

of course ^^
and after you can try to introduce the strumming pattern and work on it
each song on the app has a suggestion of strumming pattern

you can also practice on 2 or 3 differents songs and try different things on each like , on one song you practice the strumming pattern and on another you practice on a specific chord changing , or try to memorize it
each song you work can have a specific goal or focus :slight_smile:

why not ? professional players have their sheets in front of them in classical music , is it bad ?
you re learning so dont try to be ahead of your own level for the moment
you should keep the app to work on the rythmic its really important
rythm is king !
what I mean is you shouldnt remove the app if it helps you , practice on it and try to play without it step by step
like target a specific song that you learn without it , just one , and practice the others on the app

4 Likes

It’s definitely a journey. I’m a year or so in and I don’t think leading a campfire sing song is anywhere in my near future either but I’m fine with that. If someone asked me to play for them I’d definitely be playing to some sort of backing track, whether that be Justin’s app or an original recording.

I’ve seen the teachers here talk about learning songs in layers and I definitely subscribe to that concept. It will start as playing a chord each time there’s a change, maybe a strum per beat next and go from there. How far you take each song depends on you. If you might lead a sing-song then maybe you do keep it quite simple to build on (because singing and playing definitely isn’t easy) or perhaps you get the strumming going and then learn the odd riff so it’s easily identified.

I agree that being able to keep in time with a backing track and do some basic strumming definitely counts as being able to play a song. If you try to learn all of the bells and whistles from the outset (particularly as a newish player) then you’ll get frustrated and maybe quit.

I’m probably guilty of trying to take songs further than I need to and the result is that I still only know a few songs well enough that I could play them if I was asked but I play for my own entertainment, not for others

2 Likes

When you say to check out “Justin’s song lessons for grade 1 songs” do you mean the practice songs at the end of each grade 1 module or is there another location with grade 1 song lessons?

I am also stumped as to how i can “play a song” when the grade 1 lessons (which are great!) only really have me playing rhythm behind the music and if I played them alone nobody would recognize what song I was playing.

Hi Margus @msusi, The practice songs at the end of each module are great. You can see all of Justin’s grade 1 songs/lessons on the website. Click on the Songs menu item at the top of the page. Scroll down, and on the left you’ll see Filters. Under Difficult Level select Beginner Grade 1. Voila! You should see something like this:

Regarding your second comment…sadly, what you’re experiencing is part of the beginner journey. I felt the same way in Grade 1! If you’ll pardon the cliche, we have to learn to walk (rhythm, chords, strumming) before we learn to run (whatever your goals are). You’ll be playing more sophisticated things soon! Not sure where you are in Grade 1, but I’ll offer that I enjoyed playing Brown Eyed Girl early on because it did seem recognizable. I also enjoyed playing The One I Love by R.E.M. and What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes - they are pretty simple songs, and just playing the chords is recognizable. (What’s Up does offer a somewhat challenging and instantly recognizable strumming pattern, too, if you want to have a go at that!) Have a look and see if anything catches your attention.

5 Likes

Thanks so much! Your feedback really does help! FYI, I DO love playing the rhythm behind the songs in the modules, it let’s me imagine I’m in the band!

1 Like