Neck is glued back in and clamped!

Should be able to put some strings on by Sunday

10 Likes

Looking good :smiley:

1 Like

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Absolutely awful - holy moly.

Using a bit of moderator will I am rectifying that by moving your sad, sad conversation to a wider audience.
:cry:

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, I would be in tears. Hope the fix is fairing well.

R

2 Likes

When disaster strikes! :scream:

Good going on the repair. I figure that if they can put a broken head back on, you will succeed at this. Have you thought of putting a screw in through the back for extra protection?

I love those clamps, I have a bunch and they are so useful. I did a full refret of a strat using that type of wood clamp as my fret press (didnā€™t want to buy anything for the jobā€¦). Came out great.

1 Like

Oh wow, that sounds quite fiddly. Were you clamping directly onto the frets? Glad it worked out!

Iā€™ve done a few refrets. Tried hammering them in (not a fan) , used a g clamp pressing onto a fret press caul, using my drill press and finally got a cheapish arbor press which makes the job so much easier, especially with bolt on necksā€¦

My wife teases me about my clamp collection until I use them to fix the washing machine or something :joy:

2 Likes

How is this repair coming along?

So far so good! Neck is back in and is strong and stable. Just trying to fix a couple of the chips in the headstock now and where the finish chipped at the neck joint. Iā€™ve touched it up with some wine red stain and will fill the chips with super glue then sand, polish and buff. Wonā€™t be perfect but sheā€™ll live!

6 Likes

Good news Jon. Iā€™d leave the rest and call it battle scars ! Not liked youā€™ve had to pay 5k for a ā€œantique signatureā€ geetar, that looks like a Squier thatā€™s been dragged behind a pickup for 6 months and whacked into a catalogue in the ā€œMust Buy Specialsā€ section ! :wink:
Just call it character.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby, Iā€™m mostly doing the cosmetic stuff as a learning exercise. I like tinkering! As you say itā€™s not an expensive one!

1 Like

Blimey! ā€¦ Only just seen this ā€¦ First thought was ā€œNever trust strap locksā€. I know thatā€™s pointing out the bleedinā€™ obvious in retrospect, but itā€™s something I live by. Most of mine have Schaller locks on them ā€¦ but they can make you a little complacent. I treat them no differently than standard strap buttons ā€¦ make damn sure theyā€™re on solid before trusting the guitars weight to them. I had to catch my Strat just once on the way to the floor, after one had gotten turned around and hadnā€™t engaged to teach me that lesson. Sod that.

My second thought was bummer ā€¦ but thatā€™s repairable ā€¦ and reading through your updates, youā€™ve got that well in hand. Iā€™ve done a few headstock repairs, but not had one where the neck has bust out like that. Good approach.

Yeah ā€¦ Practice on the cosmetics, but donā€™t get too hung up on the battle scars. That axe is telling a great story now :+1:

1 Like

Well the cosmetic repair to the headstock didnā€™t turn out worth the effort. Think the chips were a bit too big for a superglue repair. Or I didnā€™t put enough superglue in. Either way Iā€™m leaving it for now

At least theyā€™re on the bottom of the headstock so I canā€™t see them while Iā€™m playing

Iā€™ve put some strings on, given her a bit of a setup and she lives! The neck joint repair went well which is the important thing

5 Likes

Good job, well done on the guitar rescue. :smiley:

1 Like

Now its ā€œCustom Shopā€ and you can sell it for twice as much :rofl:.

Truly though, I am very sorry for you and glad you were able to rescue the disaster.

1 Like

Or even more if you call it ā€˜relicā€™ed. Some of them look like theyā€™ve been dragged along behind a car and then attacked with a belt sander. :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice bit of work, glad that it went back together OK!
Tip - use Grolsch bottle washers instead of strap locks, less expensive and donā€™t come off!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, pretty pleased with it. I didnā€™t play this one all that much before. Struggled to get tones I like out of it with my old amp setup and didnā€™t really get along with the tune-o-matic bridge as Iā€™m very much a strat guy. Since fixing it though Iā€™ve been playing it loads and have added a treble booster to my pedalboard for when I plug this in. Sounds brilliant