Plek machines - Any thing specific to ask

Would there be anything specific you would ask about if you wanted this done to your new guitar. ?

R

Hi Rachel,
My memory fails me for a moment as to what exactly is discussed here… but you can definitely ask Jason if the texts don’t help… Of course, keep us informed afterwards when done :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi! Plek is actually most suitable for lower quality guitars as the setup out of the box can be pretty bad. In contrast, I bought a $1700 Schecter that while was not pleked, it did not need to be due to the attention to detail of these instruments.

1 Like

Gibson Plek all their guitars before they leave the factory…

It takes a human a long time to do a similar setup on a guitar and they wont be as accurate, and no off the shelf mass produced guitar sill have had that time spent on it.

1 Like

My local shop has 2 PLEK machines. Amazing to watch the process. They’ll usually run it through a test phase to get a detailed idea of the guitars health, have a chat with you to see if its suitable to be PLEK’d, and what it’ll do for you. They should discuss any specifics you prefer re action etc.
Ive spoken to many who’ve had this done, many with high end guitars, some straight from the factory; and most are thrilled with outcome. Planning on having both mine done this year, funds permitting.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

@roger_holland Will do but, it’ll be later in year if at all.

@RobDickinson, thanks for that tidbit, I didn’t know I that.
@sclay, thanks for this, so I guess not all high end guitars are factory pleked.

I have plans to see how a Guitar feels for size in a couple weeks. It is a Gibson so maybe it wont need doing now.

R

1 Like

Andersons have a video about what is involved with Plek. I have a Gibson SG which was Plekd during manufacturing and its fantastic. I have never had to touch the action since I bought it(2014)-just regular string changes.

1 Like

Yes. I’ve watched 2 vids on the process but I didn’t know that Gibson did this before shipping. Hopefully I’ll not need it done now as I’m looking at another Gibson this year.

R

The problem with this is that a plek costs as much as many of those lower end guitars, so you might be better off to just buy a higher quality guitar instead. (and then start thinking about pleks… :rofl:)

2 Likes

I might be wrong but I thought Gibson only pleked certain models and not everything in the factory. Maybe prudent to check with them if that the case for the model you are looking at. From what I gleaned, having 2 LPs and an SG, LP Standards are pleked Studios are not. SG standards are not. Worth an email or 2 to verify. Having said that mine all play fine, plexrf or not and just needed a set up from my Luthier once they had settled in.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

yes they are all plek’d now

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming Rob. Guess ok if you are buying new, any idea when that changed from selected models ? Could not see anything to clarify that on the Gibson’s own site.

I reckon Gibson plek their guitars to make up for some of their shoddy QC/manufacturing.

1 Like

So do Martin Guitar.

Taylor use them in the repair department. They don’t use them in the factory as say the Taylor Neck yields a straight neck that nearly always won’t be improved enough by a Plek.

Thank you everyone, been quite informative. :slight_smile:
R.

Yes, I agree…b.t.w. my first post was advice from a Luthier who has been doing Plek at his shop in the Hudson Valley of New York for the last 15 years. He said if I brought my used guitar in it would cost $300-$400… New York City prices I guess. This is why I went out and spent $1700 on a Shechter… turned out to be a great decision!

1 Like

Very true. My 2014 SG has a plek neck but overspray around the neck binding and(had) a wobbly output jack.

Plays wonderfully.

1 Like

Hand built in America!

Tbh I think it’s a throughput thing.

8min per guitar, handful of plek machines replaces a lot of guitar techs

2 Likes

Makes sense

1 Like