TLDR - good practice amp to use with pedals, no need for lots of amp models but nice to have features like Bluetooth and usb audio interface functionality…
More detail on my journey so far…I’m an advancing beginner, started playing about a year ago following Justin’s course but just recently find myself going more and more into blues.
I started with a Nux Mighty Air practice amp and I have been really happy with it up to now - having access to a few amp models, effects, Bluetooth streaming in of backing tracks/songs to play along with, and connecting it to my PC so it worked as a USB audio interface for recording at the same time as being a computer speaker via the same USB so I could listen to lessons on my laptop while also being connected to the guitar. I play a lot of the time with headphones plugged in due to young children in the house etc but do sometimes play through the speaker.
I then bought a looper pedal with a built in drum machine as a practice tool. This is where it started… Then I thought well I need to put reverb on my guitar but not on the drum beat so I can’t use the amp reverb, need a reverb pedal, then a tube screamer clone, and a blues overdrive pedal etc and so now I have a little pedalboard, I don’t really need all the Nux effects etc in the amp, just use it clean mainly.
I realised I actually really prefer the tactile experience of pressing foot switches, turning dials to adjust gain and drive etc, rather than controlling through an app like with the Nux amp.
And for some reason I feel like buying a new amp now. I think what I want is probably not a normal combination of high and low tech… I would like
- good sound but no need for huge volume - just for me to practice at home
- physical controls for everything - real knobs" that go from low to high, rather than knobs that can spin continuously to allow simultaneous control from an app
- usb-c audio out and ideally usb-c audio in
- Bluetooth audio in
- headphone connection maybe with cab sim via IR
- Bluetooth audio in
- a clean channel and maybe an overdrive channel
The things that Nux has that I don’t need
- don’t need lots of amp sims or built in effects
- don’t need a wireless receiver
- really easy portability not that important
Thank you if you read this far… Any suggestions?