Practice routine help

I apologize if the info is out there and I didnā€™t find it.

Are there pre built practice routines for the lessons in each module? ( instead of having to build my own). This would be very helpful as I am a total beginner and not sure when I should practice after a particular lesson vs moving on to the next lesson in the module.

Hi Margus @msusi, and welcome to the community!
Justin provides practice routines for all the Grade 1 and Grade 2 modules. The routines become less specific as you advance through the stages - Justin encourages students to identify what they want to learn and develop routines around that. So for example, here is the web page for the Module 1 practice routine. If you click on the Practice tab on that page, you can save the routine to the practice assistant. Hope that helps! Let us know if you have more questions.

While youā€™re here, consider introducing yourself to the community!

1 Like

Hi @msusi

Welcome to the forums!

I see Judi is also in the middle of answering, so you may get some common answers.

In general, you will want to work toward building your own study and practice plan. In the early modules, Justin will show you a technique and you will want to add that technique to a practice plan until you have pretty good control over how to perform that technique. Eventually you will be able to drop it from your practice and replace it with something new.

For instance, if you re at the very start, you have been introduced to the chords E, A, and D. Your practice should be to form those chords and get a clean strum, adjust if it is not clean, then try again. A few minutes (like maybe 3) of this is sufficient before you move to another chord. If you want to get more time, then come back to it and it will tend to work better than several sequential minutes.

I used the app for my practices early on. I currently use a mixture of my own notes generally for learning and cleaning up songs, and the web practice tool I tend to use for short technique tasks like chord fingering would be for you.

At the end of each module, Justin has recommended practice, so that is something you can look at, and even jump ahead and see what he is suggesting related to what you have watched.

Another really good resource is the Nitsuj practices. This will give you a good idea of what a practice looks like and an idea of your proficiency needed to move on.
https://www.justinguitar.com/modules/nitsuj-grade-1-practice

To expand just a bit, an example would be towards the end of Grade 1 in Module 7, there is a complete practice that you can save. Iā€™ve linked it below. Grade 2 also has one and Iā€™ve also linked it. I am personally still on Grade 2 so thatā€™s as far as I have looked. I do know that I follow what Justin is telling me to practice, BUT I modify it by adding and taking away a bit. As I get better using his Practice app, I can do that pretty quick.

Thank you all so much! You have been very helpful. Do you know if there is a way to adjust the tempo of the play along songs? Justin recommends including songs in your practice (I agree profusely!), but the grade 1 play along songā€™s tempo is a bit fast for this old beginner.

Hi @msusi, welcome to the forum! At the bottom right hand corner of the video, youā€™ll find a kind of cog wheel. When you click on it, you get a list of features you can adapt, one of which is the tempo. Click on that one, and you can slow the video down to 0.75, 0.50 or 0.25% of normal speed.

Have fun during your guitar journey!.

1 Like

Hallo Judi, thank you very much for your help. ist should work like that , but i canĖ‹t find a ā€žPracticeā€œ sign at the end of the lessons. ( beginner 1 ) - can you tell ne the secret.
thank you very muchā€‹:grinning::grinning::grinning:

just practice on what you want but just for a few minutes
like : play a song for strumming practice
play a song for chord changing practice
5 minutes of perfect chords
ā€¦ etc etc

just add what you need to train

1 Like

Hi Birgit @Tilda, I presume youā€™re following the lessons in the website. Thereā€™s only a ā€˜practiceā€™ tab at the end of the module, not after every lesson. For module 1, youā€™ll find it on the page of the 10th lesson ā€˜Module 1 Practice Routineā€™. Underneath the video, you will see 4 tabs (learn more, discussion, notes and practice). Click on ā€˜practiceā€™, click on ā€˜save this routineā€™, click ā€˜set as your active routineā€™, go to the home page, click on ā€˜practiceā€™ in the left column and youā€™re all set to go.

1 Like

Hallo :slight_smile: Thank you very much for your help - i was wondering, if there are ā€œpracticeā€ tabs at the end of other modules ( module 5 par example ) - ( and i am just to stupid to find them :slight_smile: ) - if not, i will do it on my own, like it is suggested. Thank you very much!!! Viele GrĆ¼ĆŸe!

Hallo,
I thought there were these ā€œpracticeā€ tabs like in module 1 in other modules (like module 6 for example) - but as it turns out, I actually have to enter the practice routine myself. Thank you very much for your help! Best regards! from WĆ¼rzburg

you have to start and then the exercices will pile on

with each module in grade 1 youā€™ll have more chords to learn meaning more songs to play for training
after you ll add the strumming etc etc

Hi Birgit @Tilda, I see your question has been answered! So Iā€™ll just welcome you to the community. :slight_smile: If you have a moment, you can tell us a bit about your guitar journey over here.

1 Like