Practice without a guitar

Hi.
Currently I don’t have much time to play guitar here in the army. So maybe you know some exercises to do without an instrument other than active listening.

And also I want to say (I know that this isn’t the right category but still) that this community is awesome, thank you all for that.

4 Likes

I’m not sure that there’s much guitar specific, but what about singing, or tapping beats on stuff with your hands?

Or study of music theory, chords, and then mental visualisation.

3 Likes

Singing is also not an option right now but I will definitely start working on it when I finally get home. Beat tapping might be useful because I do it anyway, but without a clear rhythm. And the theory should continue to be studied, because I have learned almost nothing in the last two years.
Thanks for good tips.

1 Like

Make music :smiley:
Even if it’s just in your head. Think up melodies.
Look around you and try to find interesting lyrics, describing what you see and feel. Make notes of them when you then get the chance. Don’t get hung up on rhyming.
(It’s always the right category to mention the awesomeness of this community :laughing:)

2 Likes

Oh this is a great idea. Poetry.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it’s not that easy even with my first language. But I actually wrote one previous summer. It’s kinda silly song about r’n’r but I like it. I remember that lines just popped up in my head. Someday I’ll write music for it and post it here.

2 Likes

Is it as silly as this? :wink:
I look forward to hearing it one day, esp. if it’s in your mother-tongue (just add a rough translation)

2 Likes

Hi Artem,
Give proper attention to everything that is right in front of you and that presents itself in any form…and your life will be full of music and poems :wink: :blush: :sunglasses:

I wish you the best, :sunflower:

Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Unfortunately the link doesn’t work. :frowning:
My song is in English and I’ll make sure to tag you when it’ll be posted here (not anytime soon though).

Great advise, Rogier.
I’m already using it and thanks to music I enjoy life even when things aren’t quite good. Truly a magical thing.

1 Like

oops :roll_eyes: (fixed I think)

Well, that is cool! Your’s is funny silly and mine is just repeating and silly (but still fun for me).

1 Like

Hi Artem! Not the best times for you, I really feel sorry for you. First of all - stay safe! :pray:

Practicing without guitar, not really inspiring and I don’t know at which stage you are and if you have access to the web in this situation, but maybe you could:

learn the fretboard
visualize scales, chordshapes, sequences
learn passages, songs, etc. by heart
analyze songs you can play later, when you are back home
repeat motorical processes to keep muscle memory
train different rhythms

I just saw, that Justin made a video about practicing without a guitar. I didn’t see the video yet, but maybe that helps?

5 Likes

Wow, great tips, Helen. Thank you.

2 Likes