Practicing alternate picking on electric guitar with headphones on, how to properly hear the metronome?

Hi guitar friends!

So, my question is somewhat similar to mattswains question earlier with his topic ‘guitar vs backing track volume levels’, but not entirely.

My guitar teacher taught me an awesome lick from the band the fearless flyers, namely ‘introducing the fearless flyers’. It’s very fast and I learned that my picking speed is really slow. So I found this 30 days alternate picking challenge on youtube and basically, I will practice a lot with a metronome the coming 30 days :wink: However, I am doing this on my electric guitar. I have headphones for my amp, but I also need to clearly hear the metronome.

My question is: how do you guys go about practicing stuff to a metronome on electric guitar when using headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Inge

Hi!

What amp?

If it has an aux in or bluetooth you can feed it a metronome signal.

2 Likes

I have a Roland Cube

…Or, can try using a flashing beat instead of the auditory beep. Many free metronome phone apps have this feature. My 35-y/o stand-alone Seiko has an option for a flashing LED.

OK that should feature a ‘AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type’

So you can plug in an audio lead from something making the metronome sound (pc, phone etc) and hear it through the headphones.

4 Likes

Hi Inge,
Long time no see …
And this quote has been discussed before and this is bad advice
you shouldn’t be looking at a metronome , you should be listening to the click.
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Sorry, I must not have been around for that discussion and didn’t realize that a decision had been reached. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Hi Rogier,

Yeah I know, it’s been a while! I have still been playing guitar though, I just havent been active in the community for some time. But I will change my ways and post here more often. It’s always fun :slight_smile:

The solution that I found for now is that I have my headphones around my neck so I can clearly hear the guitar but also hear the metronome from the JustinGuitar time trainer app on my phone. Not necessarily ideal but there is only so much I can put my neighbors through :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Rob, I had not thought of that, but I will check out if I can manage to do that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like you might have it sorted already, but what I do is have over the ear type headphones for my guitar/amp and have inner ear (pod type) headphones for the metronome/backing track/music that I’m playing along with. I can hear both at the same time. Works for me :slight_smile:

That also sounds like a plan! I will try that, see how that works :slight_smile:

Thanks for that tip!

1 Like