Questio-rant about learning

Do not give up … definitely seek some specific help.
It might just take one word based on a photo or video short to set you right.

1 Like

Can you start your own topic.
You can paste an image direct.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

1 Like

Consider adding an in person teacher to the online lessons, if that is what would work for you. They would not be mutually exclusive. Justin has recommended teachers, but they probably aren’t in person. Someone just posted about how helpful it was for them to have some in person lessons too.

Everyone is different and Justin and this community is here to help you learn guitar however works best for you!

4 Likes

Absolutely! It’s good to tackle those things you’re struggling with but always have a jam and a play because this is about enjoyment in the short and the longer term :slight_smile:

@stahlhammer Hello Gordon, some time has passed since you raised this topic.
How are you doing? Are you still on this journey?
I wanted to thank you for this thread, as it’s an interesting topic that brought so many valuable advices and tips, which are definitely useful for others (e.g. me :blush:), as well.
I hope, you’re doing well and would love to lear more from you :hugs:.

1 Like

I did the only reasonable and logical thing - I quit :slight_smile:
I did my best, but some things are just not mean to be.
I probably failed to find the ‘fun in the journey’, but seeing zero progress in so much time and effort spent for me was not acceptable.
Oh well :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hello Gordon, I thank you for your answer :hugs:. I’m sorry to hear that you couldn’t see enough progress to keep yourself motivated.

But maybe you’re right and some things are not meant to be … (at least not at the moment).
Maybe you’ll give it another try some day - as so many of us here have done - or maybe not.
That’s all good as long it’s good for you :blush:.

I wish you all the best :slightly_smiling_face:.

Sorry to see you go, but it is good to do what you feel is right. Perhaps, like many others, you will be back when you are really ready. One thing I do feel about learning guitar, an instrument, or anything really, is you need to want it enough. If you do, it is fun and challenging. If you don’t, this s**t is tough!

Sorry to see you go, maybe you will pick up the guitar once again in the future. I completely understand where you are coming from, I’m just a few years younger than you. I decided to opt-in for lessons with a local guitar teacher, in addition to Justin’s method, as I wanted someone to correct bad habits early on in the process… and yeah, there were a few.
Justin’s beginners grade 1, 2 and 3 have given me a solid rhythm guitar foundation. However I started encountering platou in grade 3, perhaps because at that stage Justin encourages designing your own practice routine.
I got through the first 3 grades in 6 months and looking back was frustrated with the amount of time it took me, and lack of lead guitar playing I was doing. In hindsight, I was staying on each lesson for too long, kind of like a comfort zone I didn’t want to leave. My skills and knowledge skyrocketed after I started seeing the teacher twice a month. He keeps pushing me by giving me pieces of work I would normally consider myself not ready for.
I’m still following Justin’s course as I think it’s the best thing in the world for newbies like me but I also recognise the need for in person lessons as they add a host of other benefits that just aren’t there with online methods.

Now I would say that was quick, very quick. I’m half away through Grade 2 at about 2.5 years in. Kind of stuck at the middle section of Grade 2, but saying that I’m in no rush!!

1 Like

No point rushing, just enjoy the ride and learn plenty of songs along the way. To me the length of time going through the grades can’t really be measured in days, weeks, months and years. To me it’s really measured in the actual practice time invested. For example some people may have more time to practice each day than others.

1 Like

Certainly more than me!! I get about 15-30mins during the week and may be an hour a day over the weekend.