Question about guitar Cables

I’m having a problem with cables, sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, especially when I have my looper pedal in between my guitar and my amp. The cable that seems to have the least issues (possibly none, I haven’t been too organized about tracking this) is the fattest cable. Is there a difference between a fat cable and a skinnier cable, and is one better than the other? They’re all just regular guitar cables, I haven’t been using a stereo cable.

This started a few days ago, the first time I plugged in my looper in a long time. The amp made a funny crackling sound and then nothing worked at all, I thought I mucked up some connection in, well, something.

I’m clearly not a tech head at all, I just want to be able to plug in and play, not have to fuss about trying different cables. When I noticed that the fattest cable doesn’t seem to have an issue, I figured I might as well ask if there’s a difference between cables. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

The different thicknesses are the wire size and shielding.
Do your cables have molded ends or can you unscrew them?
Ifyou can unscrew the check to see if the wires have broken off
the jack. If they are molded plug it into your amp and wiggle
it right where the cable goes into the end. If it crackles the cable
is broken. Do this on both ends.

If both cables work in the amp check the socket on the looper.
Plug the cable into the looper and wiggle the jack back and forth.
If you get crackling in the aml the socket has become loose fitting.

Yiu can take the looper apart an bend the prong i a bit for a snug
fit. Kt should look something like this

https://images.app.goo.gl/8pkaY96wuqXFKPCD6

2 Likes

Thank you Rick. 2 of the cables I could unscrew, and there are no broken wires that I can see. The 3rd one is molded so I tried your suggestion and I get no crackle. I also tried the cables in the looper and got no crackle. I then decided to methodically try all the cables and see what happens. For one of the cables when plugged into looper output it flashed red but didn’t stay on, and so of course it didn’t work. Then after I tried the other cables and everything worked fine I tried that cable again and finally realized that yes I was using a stereo cable :frowning: The stereo cable is therefore the only one that doesn’t work in the looper. I don’t think it’s supposed to. I double checked and it does work guitar to amp, but I don’t think that’s the recommended cable anyway. Everything is therefore sorted, and thank you very much for your patience in answering my question, very much appreciated. I need to try to be more patient when something isn’t working. I’m fine figuring out complicated accounting stuff at work but stuff like this just stresses and annoys me :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Happy to hear you got it sorted out.
Put a piece of colored tape on the stereo cable so you don’t
try it again. Guitars and peddles are mono.

2 Likes