Question about song practice - how many times to strum per bar?

Hi all. I searched and couldn’t find an answer, so I apologize if I’m the millionth person to ask this. I’m on module 5 and it just dawned on me that I may not be practicing the songs correctly. How many times should I be strumming the chords for each bar? If one chord is shown, should I be playing that chord 4 times? If two, is 2 for each chord?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thank you,
Jason

Jason

Without knowing which song you refer to that sounds about right. However, I’ll add if you are using the app, I am not an app user and went through Justin’s Old Classic Beginner’s Course and used the 2 songbooks associated with that. A single chord denoted a bar of that chord. So you could be keeping it simple and play the chord on the 1 and let it ring out 2 3 4 or play it on each beat. If you have 2 chords like this |Am C| that would be 2 beats each. So again play the Am and let it ring out an beat 2, play the C on 3 and let it ring out on beat 4. Or if strumming on each beat it would be Am Am C C.

Hope that helps. And welcome to the Community. :wave:

Cheers

Toby
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

No silly questions Jason, if you’re using the app see post Strumming with songs - #2 by Socio

This pops up on module 5 of the website course…

But don’t worry, there’ll be plenty of strumming lessons in the pipeline

2 Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome, Toby. It isn’t any song in particular, per se. All of the songs I’ve been practicing along the way I’ve been letting the chord ring out vs strumming on every beat. I’m wondering now if I should go back and practice strumming 4 or 2 depending on the bar? If I’ve somehow slowed down progress and now need to backtrack.

I appreciate your response. Thanks again.

Jason

1 Like

I am using the paid app. I am practicing the 4 strumming patterns as part of my practice. I guess I can try to incorporate these patterns into the song practice moving forward. Thanks so much!

Jason

Jason

Again the app may be different but back in the day, Justin used to advocate an initial one strum on the 1 and gradually moving onto a strum per beat ie 4 strums per bar in 4/4. (ie 1234) If you find that a challenge when you go back, you can try two strums per bar on the 1 and the 3. Slowly slowly catch monkey will give you a solid foundation built on tempo and understanding tempo. Take your time and see what works now, Get comfortable with that before taking the next step. Next thing you know you’ll be banging out 16th note patterns and wondering what all the fuss was about !

:sunglasses:

1 Like

This has been a huge help. Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it.

Jason

Jason
I am just at the end of Grade 1 and have the app.
When you say 4 strumming patterns do you mean old faithful and three more or just 4 down strums.
If you have a query on any songs let me know and will take a look and see if I can help.
Michael :notes::guitar: