Radek’s Learning Log

Your “exercises” always sound very musical Radek !..always a little treat for my ears :notes::notes::notes: I was curious to ask where you’re taking these exercises from, any particular book or teacher?

1 Like

Thanks Silvia. Exercises in this series come from Italian guitarist Marco Cirillo. If I’m not mistaken he was trained as classical guitarist before turning to YouTube and his own fingerstyle acoustic and electric courses.

1 Like

Yes, I know him a little bit from YouTube! What I like about the exercises is that each one of them seems to have a specific target of learning! Look foward for the next one! :blush:

He is one of the few online teacher providing fingerstyle courses. I can only assume this style is not very popular, he recently started publishing materials about electric guitar.

Glad you like this little exercises, I’m about to wrap the series after the next one until I found some new ones :).

1 Like

What about Mike Dawes’ Course? He’s a fingerstyle virtuoso. I checked it when Justin made a lesson with him about how he arranged a song and I was impressed. Now I’m very commited to my classical guitar studies but I think that maybe in a couple of years, if my fundamentals will be strong, I will want to get deeper into acoustic fingerstyle and will check his course…I love all those percussive techniques, they sound just amazing! :heart_eyes::star_struck:

Here’s the link, if you want to check it out.

@ mods if you’re reading this I hope I’m not breaking the Community’s Rules with the link, if so please tell me and I’ll remove it…but I think the same link is in Justin’s lessons with Mike Dawes.

1 Like

Thanks Silvia. I came across Mike Dawes course some time ago, perhaps I should consider it again. For the time being my main focus is accuracy, clarity (I still accidentally hit strings more then I wished) and getting done (record) pieces I’ve been working for some years. Not to mention the classical challenge I put on myself.

Regardless of all of this, if you enjoy percussive contemporary acoustic guitar here is few artists to keep an eye on.

Sungha Jung,
Marcin,
Sean de Burca,
and of course Vincent from JG community.

2 Likes

Ha, thank you so much for your compliment Radek. I am flattered to be identified together with Sung, ought to work really hard to deliver the best =)

1 Like

No need to thank Vincent, your play is remarkable and I really hope you will receive much more deserved recognition :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After about 190h of practice (3 months) some things got pretty hairy… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Haha it’s always that G string that dies first :v:

Yes there is something to it. Surprisingly string still sound fine after this period of time, D’Addario are fading way quicker then Elixir’s although not getting hairy :slight_smile:.

1 Like

May is ending so time for a classical challenge update. This month it is “Cuckoo Waltz” by Johan Emanuel Jonasson. Very easy to learn, a couple of hours should be enough to memorise it. As always I managed to produce some unwanted sounds on the second pass :sweat_smile:. Hopefully this will sort itself out one day.

6 Likes

Some my latest acoustic discoveries. It always blows me away finding new fingerstyle artists that can paint beautiful fantasy landscapes with their music. Level of sensitivity and expression is just of the scale.

Kim Yuongso

Josephine Alexandra

4 Likes

Hi Radek! Great gems you have found in the internet! :heart:

1 Like

Hi Radek, what a lovely little Waltz :heart_eyes:, thanks for sharing it! By the way I produce unwanted sounds quite often.

I think it will with time and practice, as we get more confident in our connection with the fretboard, accuracy will be easier.

2 Likes

Very true, they are amazing artists to look up to. There is also many artists out of the spotlight, “invisible”, working on drama and games soundtracks or providing music for pop artists. I often think while hearing wonderful guitar theme on k-drama episode - who is playing, how nice it would be to play it on my own.

1 Like

Thanks Silvia. There is a little charm to this slightly dust covered pieces (in general publics mind), I may not play it very often but definitely will remember about and the composers behind it. I really do not like this accidental string hits, especially at the end of the recording :sweat_smile:.

Could be, but not sure about it. I’m rather clumsy, being at the fretboard where I need to be is one thing but my right hand keeps hitting neighbouring strings more then I want to. It mostly applies to period pieces written for classical guitar, I suppose this missing strings separation on western acoustic can make a difference.

1 Like

Hi Radek, I really enjoyed the waltz. You played it well. I really admire those who can play classical guitar it always sounds so good to me.

1 Like

Radek, I’ve been rather inactive for a while and coming back. Enjoyed both the exercise 9 and the Cuckoo waltz. You really have mastered the recording of your guitar for videos, sounds fabulous, and your playing is always a treat. Keep on keeping on!

1 Like

It might be…or it might not, I found in my experience that while noticing a problem I had, I tried to make sense of it, to explain why it happened and sometimes it turned out I wasn’t able to objectively describe the problem but read it through my prejudice. Does this make any sense to you?
Anyway no one better than you can find out where the root of the problem is…sometimes being self-taught can be hard, but these problem-solving skills we develop are very much valuable indeed.

1 Like