VincentC guitar learning log

It sounded interesting, keep it up Vincent :slight_smile: .

1 Like

“Weekly” Repertoire haha

In my mind, I have a hard time to keep the song in time, perhaps more practices on time feel would help (I relate it to imaginary heartbeats to keep myself in time) And trying to expressing myself (I wish the camera is showing my face, damn!)

I post edited it in my PC, realising the need of mastering it for better loudness.

There are just so much things to work on lol. Just cant spell them all out here. Would try to fix them bit by bit as I make more recordings of myself playing live.

7 Likes

Sneak peek to the guitar setup I am using rn =)

At the guitar back is the ToneWoodAmp. I use Hambucker and Piezo pickups so I have two inputs to the guitar amp lol.

I think I need to tweek the reverbs and “pre-EQ” for future recordings.

4 Likes

I am really amazed. So much going on when you are playing. How do you keep track on all that???

Have you watched When Mike Dawes visited Justin ?

It is totally flabbergasting how you guys can keep up with all these things you do.

But you very seem to enjoy it and have a lot of fun. That is really important.

Found this one: Skylaim Yohan Song Fingerstyle Guitar Korea - But it is way more slow than what you do. Performance in a library it looks like.

Very special style and really using the whole guitar. Very interesting. Also shows how much more there is to investigate from the Guitar, which have been used for decades.

kotaro oshio - brand new wings ---- This video makes it more easy to see what is going on. Really cool techniques! :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi there Kim! Perhaps you are right, there are a lot of things going on xD

I do not keep track of everything lol, most of the performances are from muscle memory so the remaining focus would be stay in time (and the syncopation, ha!) and expressing myself

The way I practise it is to play along (and learn) from the original artist (on YouTube), try to understand what they are doing and assimilate it =)

1 Like

Take a few listen here and there, guess it would be better if I have had listened to the metronome beforehand and do the recording with a good grasp of the tempo inside my head

In the vids I seemed like rushing most of the time, unable to get the tempo “correct” (not necessarily have be on beat every time, but it ought to be most of the time) at the “right” time to deliver the desired feelings… Oh well :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys! Did a quick “cover” of Andy Mckee’s Drifting

I tried to nail the accent (loud and softness in volume) and it is not going well xD Didnt manage to hit some of the notes on high fret, well I could have played better and shouldnt blame the guitar, yes T.T ( On a really well made guitar you could easily access those higher frets and nail the sound =) )

Overall managed to keep in time, compromising the precision. Got to do better next time! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It came out wonderful! Great job Vincent.

1 Like

I wonder when I could achieve THAT kind of fluency :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

Busy working on the music project YT rn x)

Watched and listened back few of my recent recordings on TikTok. Find that one of next task on guitar learning is to play with metronome, figure out which memory cues fall on which beat. This ought to solve most of the issue in the recent recordings. Well, I hope I have explained myself well :sweat_smile:

Kind of learn the trick from Andy Mckee, when I am working on his “Aerial Boundaries” arrangement. I find it helpful to have a very experienced guitar player to explain in details what is going on in a highly technically song, because the knowledge would be applied on other aspect of guitar playing, in an unexpected way :heart:

2 Likes

Hello Vincent, I just had a listen to a few of your recordings and found them amazing :star_struck: That seems like a lot of work on technique to be able to play like this. Bravo! :blush:

1 Like

A little update on my side :smiley:

Got this track recorded and some simple EQs here and there. Bad news is I realize my condenser mic is cardioid instead of figure 8 (which explains the hard panned I have in the recording track, since the microphone only captures one side :scream: :scream:) And good news is I got it sort out by amazing Eq plugin I have got lol

It is some work in progress so any advices and opinions are welcomed! :smile:

Wish you have a great day!

4 Likes

That’s pretty standard. Even figure 8 mics are normally mono.

What DAW are you using?

It’s common (pretty much standard) DAW use to have mics and guitars as a mono tracks and to use panning to position in the stereo field.

Genuine stereo tracks are not unheard of, but relatively rare as very few instruments have, historically, been recorded as stereo tracks.

Drums are (sort of) the exception here.

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Hi there Mr Keith, I am using Cubase on Windows =)

Yeah raw guitar recordings are in mono. So I use some sort of mid-side array recording technique, with a dynamic mic as Side channel, and a figure 8 condenser mic as Mid channel (well that is in theory, but I bought the wrong mic which is cardioid lol)

They are still in mono so to make the track stereo I duplicate the Side channel, panning them into L and R. And I reverse the polarity of one of them.

PS
Cool thing about this trick is the recording is “mono compatible”, which means when I listen it at mono (say phone speaker) all I heard is the mid channel, since the side channels cancel out each other

1 Like

Hi! Set it up in a better manner this time, but seems like things are not good enough, like my phone camera should be behind so that it could capture the whole view of the guitar :sweat_smile:

Anyway hope you like it! It is a song about youth :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi Vincent,
Wow…What a start to the Sunday morning :smiley: :sunglasses: :clap:… the sun shining in gives the whole thing an extra vibe :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

This was fun! Love the sound of the pickup!

1 Like

Hi there! Hope you would enjoy this song :slightly_smiling_face:

Things would be better if my foot tapping is on beat :upside_down_face: Got to turn my “bad habits” into a feature haha.

3 Likes

Wonderful as always! I was wondering wat was the mic/pickup setting, it caught some of the string noise.

1 Like

Hi Radek! To put it short I am utilizing what is available to me =) With some understanding of mixing tracks.

The string noise came from the piezo pickup. I realize I could tweak the amount of “organic” string noise I want by adjusting the volume of the piezo pickup.

So I had one really good LR Braggs hambucker pickup (being sent to ToneWoodAmp first, for the plate reverb effect :grin:) and one common pierzo pickup. Both signals were then sent to an 60W acoustic guitar amp.

And oc, the sound from the amp was being recaptured by a cardiod condensed microphone and I did some noise reduction and AI mastering in the DAW.

It is really troublesome to get through all this haha, not to mention the colour correction while doing the video editing. I was trying to use DaVinci Resolve for video editing but found out my current PC setup is too slow to run that software.

It is a lot to learn lol, but I guess guitar journey is one of the learning journey you want to be at. Thank you Radek!

1 Like