Radek’s Learning Log

Sounds good Radek, and a lovely bright, crisp tone.

Sounding good, lovely tone and a really nice melody which will certainly keep the exercises from getting boring with their musicality.

1 Like

It sounds beautiful and not quite only an exercise :blush:

1 Like

Thank you James. As many said before, guitar should inspire to practice, if someone owns such instrument she or he is a lucky person :slight_smile:.

Thanks Silvia. Fundamental principle of musical form requires certain structure, if bars 1 and 2 formulate question, bars 3 and for should provide the answer. That why I enjoy this sort of exercise more then playing scales although they have their own value (not to mention some torturous symmetric exercises).

2 Likes

Fingerstyle Exercise 3

Another fingerstyle exercise with very specific dreamy feeling and interesting chord progression.

4 Likes

Fingerstyle exercise 4

Very short exercise with lovely “renaissance” (Blackmore’s Night) vibe to it. I can clearly see I need to play it more gentle, fretting hand does way too much up & down movement.

2 Likes

That sounds very nice. Your fretting hand seems not too bad too me, on the contrary the playing sounds actually smooth I’m not sure about your pinky, though as it seems quite straight and not curved. I easily tend to develop tension in my fretting hand. I heard of " allignement exercises" for the left hand and I want to check them out.

1 Like

Thanks Silvia. I’ll pay more attention what the pinky is doing, I think it gets in the way on more occasions while playing pieces with bigger spacing between the notes. Slightest mistake is immediately heard (muting, accidental hit on other string).

I do a lot of symmetric exercises but all things considered, it will take significant amount of time to get to any satisfactory level of precision.

1 Like

I’m afraid it is like that, consistency is key…I hope that just a little focussed bit everyday will work for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is also connected to brain science and mechanics of learning. Whole journey would have been way easier if started 20 years ago :sweat_smile:. But it is what it is, one of the advantages of greater age is a patience.

1 Like

Happy Valentines everyone!

A short fragment from “The Titanic”, timing is not great for what I apologise but the melody can be distinguished I believe. Hopefully I’ll manage to revisit this great song and learn whole piece.

3 Likes

February challenge, it was bit more difficult then Ode, mostly because the length and even tempo. In the same time it felt familiar, it resembles many melody exercises. The box I did not checked here for sure is the “mi” pattern, perhaps better luck next time.

5 Likes

Hi Radek, good job. Repetitive pieces are hard for keeping a cadence that is accurate but also maintains the conversation between the notes.

1 Like

Thanks Andrés. Indeed, there are far more popular pieces but for a reason F. Carulli’s works are still widely used today in training students of the classical guitar.

Fingerstyle exercise 5

Another simple fingerstyle exercise with a beautiful melody. I need to pay more attention how much I’m leaning over the fretboard :sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

These exercises all sound so good Radek.

Looks like you recorded this one differently to the usual recordings you post. And the low end was more boomy to my ear. Not a big deal for an exercise, but may be something to think about if you wanted to record a full study for AVOYP in the same way.

1 Like

Thanks David. Not much changed besides experimenting with camera angle (still work in progress for mobile takes). Could be that the strings are deteriorating, almost 3 months old now or something with the moisture and temperature in the room (although I’m trying to keep it under control). I need to look closer after strings change, thanks for pointing out.

2 Likes

Hi Radek! Glad to see you doing well. Home recording is indeed boomy in nature on the low end (around 100 Hz to 300 ish Hz) without any EQ, and nothing we can do about it other than getting a really good microphone and acoustic treatment…

Well. I change my strings every month and may be I overdo it :sweat_smile:

Good story. I can’t say that I have 3 hours a day to practice, but I do what I can. I finally bought a Fender 75th anniversary strat. When I get back home, I plan to take it to a local luthier and have it properly set up. I hear that makes worlds of difference.

Hey Vincent, thanks for stepping in! This is true but after David’s remark I acknowledged that the strings went dull some time ago. D’addario XS I used, considering my practice time, should be replaced sooner then 3 months mark. I will go back to Elixir Nanoweb, they seems to last bit longer. Other thing is reducing ambient noise usually impair details, always a compromise. Shure SN81I’m using is a quiet mic, it requires increasing volume in the editing and this elevates ambient room noise significantly.

Thanks Michael. There is no harm in visiting professional :slight_smile:, I’m about to drop the Lakewood around summertime for adjusting, surprisingly very few luthiers remained in the area I live.

1 Like